The Student Room Group

Foundation year?

So I want to do an astrophysics degree but need to physics and maths at a level. I've finished my a levels but I only took physics not maths. If I do a foundation year does that mean I can do the course after? I'm just not sure how foundation courses work if I'm honest.
It usually depends on which university you want to go to!
Original post by _Robyn_
So I want to do an astrophysics degree but need to physics and maths at a level. I've finished my a levels but I only took physics not maths. If I do a foundation year does that mean I can do the course after? I'm just not sure how foundation courses work if I'm honest.

Hey,

A foundation course helps you to progress onto the course you're interested in. Because you're wanting to study astrophysics, you'll do a foundation degree similar to that. A foundation degree essentially gives you a hand to get you on the bachelor's degree by teaching you the basics of what you need to know to prepare you for the course. It's also there if you don't achieve the required grades or if you've been out of education for a long time. To find out which course you need to apply for, it's best to contact the unis you're interested in to see what foundation degrees are available for you.

I hope this helps!

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Yep, if you take foundation then you’ll go straight into the first year of your degree after you’ve completed the foundation year. It’s basically like applying for the main course, but instead of 3 years you do 4. I think you also have the option of transferring unis after you’ve passed your foundation year, but i’m not 100% sure so you’ll have to check if your interested. I’m doing foundation physics at bristol at the moment, and we have to pass an exam at the end of the year to get into the degree course, but i think that’s just a bristol/russell group uni thing. Not sure. anyway hope that’s helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest