Amber1874
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently working on my level 3 teaching assistant course working in a school. I want to become a teacher but not sure the best path to do so. I want to keep my job or at least stay in my job. But I know you have to do placements meaning I will have to leave so my job probably will not want to keep me on. Having no qualifications apart from teaching how do people get part time jobs at the same time of trying to go to uni to become a teacher?
Thanks for the help
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amber1874)
I am currently working on my level 3 teaching assistant course working in a school. I want to become a teacher but not sure the best path to do so. I want to keep my job or at least stay in my job. But I know you have to do placements meaning I will have to leave so my job probably will not want to keep me on. Having no qualifications apart from teaching how do people get part time jobs at the same time of trying to go to uni to become a teacher?
Thanks for the help
Do you have an undergraduate degree?

If not, you have two main options:
1) Do a degree in Primary Education (you must make sure it includes QTS). This is a three year degree that will qualify you as a primary school teacher. I believe that some universities offer this as a part-time degree (Edge Hill was the first that came up on Google), but not all will. You will be eligible for Student Finance, so it might be worth looking into how much you could get from that. If you go full-time, you could also probably do part-time work during periods of the year when you are not on placement, but probably not TA work as the timings wouldn't match up - you'd be wanting a weekend / evening / summer job.
If you are interested in secondary, there are also some unis that offer courses like "Mathematics with Education and QTS", but this is a less common route for secondary. You must ensure it provides QTS if looking for undergraduate degrees like this.

2) Do any undergraduate degree, and then do a PGCE year. You can do your undergraduate part-time, and could also look into doing it through the Open University so it is more flexible and less expensive. With any undergraduate degree, you can then do a year of teacher training to become a qualified teacher. If you have good experience as a TA, you may be able to do a School Direct Salaried course, where you would be paid while you train.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Amber1874,
as stated above, your first step is to gain a degree, you can choose one which includes QTS or do a degree of your choice then do a year of teacher training. As a teaching assistant, you might have the option to earn whilst you train through the school direct salaried route or teaching apprenticeship. I would suggest that you research local universities through UCAS and contact them to see how their courses work and if it would be possible for you to work and study at the same time. A part-time course might be an option for you or the Open University.
We support a lot of teaching assistants who are in the same situation as you. It might be a good idea to register on the Get into Teaching website to get an advice and a chat with one of our advisers, to discuss your options. It is a free service and all our advisers are experienced teachers.
All the best,
Laure
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amber1874)
Thanks for the help
If you do an undergrad B.Ed, outside of placements, and in holidays, you should be able to work. You could look for jobs in after school or weekend childcare and holiday clubs (I'm sure they'd be keen to have you as a qualified TA). You'd also be entitled to a student loan, and additional support if you have any dependents?

If you already have a degree, the assessment only route MAY be open to you, especially if you are in a supportive MAT. You would still need a short placement at another school, and you'd usually need to be teaching (not TAing) already to be eligible for this. It's worth talking to your school about if you are keen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads