Am I able to get into a good uni to study Law?

Watch this thread
Alfiesjushshshs
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m just wondering how the subject choices I made at college and the grade levels I received will affect my ability to get into a high ranking university to study a LLB degree.

I studied a BTEC diploma in Uniformed public services and got a D*D* - alongside this I also did an A-level in criminology where I got a B.

I’m already aware that Oxford and Cambridge won’t even look at me for consideration due to the fact that I did a BTEC, but what about other high ranking unis? What do you guys think?
toomuchworktodo
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Alfiesjushshshs)
I’m just wondering how the subject choices I made at college and the grade levels I received will affect my ability to get into a high ranking university to study a LLB degree.

I studied a BTEC diploma in Uniformed public services and got a D*D* - alongside this I also did an A-level in criminology where I got a B.

I’m already aware that Oxford and Cambridge won’t even look at me for consideration due to the fact that I did a BTEC, but what about other high ranking unis? What do you guys think?
I’d look into any uni at this point. Maybe lancaster, or hull York. If law isn’t what you want to do then look at all unis, getting a 1:2 or 1:1 in a law degree from a non Russel uni is still better than a 2:2 from a Russel uni. Email unis admissions is your best bet. Uni admission offices are so helpful! If you call some they’ll direct you to subject specific area. You’ll have to talk to unis directly but it’s worth looking around.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago

Slightly off topic, but how did you find your BTEC? Was it enjoyable? Is there a lot to remember?

My son wants (Year 10) wants to be a police officer, and he's thinking of doing this BTEC after his GCSEs.
Alfiesjushshshs
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Slightly off topic, but how did you find your BTEC? Was it enjoyable? Is there a lot to remember?

My son wants (Year 10) wants to be a police officer, and he's thinking of doing this BTEC after his GCSEs.
The course was pretty good, you learn quite a lot about all the different public services, mostly the police and armed forces. If your son is dead set on the police then BTEC public services is the best choice - but just make sure he doesn’t fall into the same trap I did. I thought I wanted to be in the police when I left secondary school - turns out I don’t now and I’m stuck with the BTEC public services qualification that unfortunately holds you back in other career pathways.

Basically, there isn’t much you can do with a BTEC in uniformed public services apart from the public services - so if your son changes his mind later on and wants to do something academic instead, his choices will be slim.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
The course was pretty good, you learn quite a lot about all the different public services, mostly the police and armed forces. If your son is dead set on the police then BTEC public services is the best choice - but just make sure he doesn’t fall into the same trap I did. I thought I wanted to be in the police when I left secondary school - turns out I don’t now and I’m stuck with the BTEC public services qualification that unfortunately holds you back in other career pathways.

Basically, there isn’t much you can do with a BTEC in uniformed public services apart from the public services - so if your son changes his mind later on and wants to do something academic instead, his choices will be slim.
That's a fair point.

He's adamant right now, and he rejects every other suggestion ever thrown at him, but indeed he could change his mind. He's not at all academic though, so it would definitely be a vocational path that he'[d choose.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, that's good to know. It's too bad you've decided on a different direction though, that must feel frustrating. I hope you managed to find the right path for you somehow.
Alfiesjushshshs
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
That's a fair point.

He's adamant right now, and he rejects every other suggestion ever thrown at him, but indeed he could change his mind. He's not at all academic though, so it would definitely be a vocational path that he'[d choose.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, that's good to know. It's too bad you've decided on a different direction though, that must feel frustrating. I hope you managed to find the right path for you somehow.
Thank you 😊- and good luck to your son 👍🏽
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 months ago

Now is a great time to be going to career fairs and having a chat with different universities and organisations. There is a law fair today! https://www.legalcheek.com/uk-virtual-law-fair-series/ but you can also google them and sign up.

You haven't said what you would like to do as a career in law, you've put that you have done Uniformed Public Services so I am not sure if you are considering Policing courses such as this one: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/undergra...onal-policing/ but there is the option to consider a foundation year, if you don't match the admission criteria. This is just an example and of course you can check out lots of different universities!

If you are considering the lawyer route, check out this route map for different ways in too: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-...l-Career-Paths

If you have any mitigating circumstances that affected your grades, you should include them in applications to universities (especially if they are very competitive)- even if at the time, you did not apply to the exam board for consideration. This is something people often forget to think about- things like a death or illness in the family, or moving house, or divorce of parents, domestic violence etc.

There is still lots of time to develop a career in law and so many ways in. Don't let people put you off- if you have enough drive and determination and are willing to work hard, you'll get there!

All the best with it!
Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
ellenyoung123
Badges: 1
Report 6 months ago
If you just ring around the different unis they will be able to give you advice - even if you can't get into that one they always recommend other routes!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago

Many high ranking unis will accept a BTEC with an A level. The problem (as you seem aware) is that not all of them will accept that particular BTEC as they may require it to be in a preferred subject, which for BTECs seems to mean Business Studies, Law or Science.

I'm afraid you will just need to email lots of unis Admissions teams and ask them directly. Good Luck - I'm sure they don't all have particular BTEC subject requirements and your grades are good so you just have to be selective about where you apply to get offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (60)
16%
The paper was reasonable (184)
49.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (93)
24.8%
It was TERRIBLE (38)
10.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed