ECA and GSA applicants 2022

Watch this thread
EdgarEmily
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi! I wanted to create a thread for people who are applying to ECA and GSA so we can support each other! I’m applying to illustration at ECA and communication design at GSA!
Last edited by EdgarEmily; 1 month ago
JulieClareRead
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Great idea - not many comments, is there a way to bump it up?
Aliceejohnson
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hey I'm applying for painting and printmaking at GSA and MA fine art at ECA. I know technically GSA is more well known and more respected in the art world but the ECA course looks perfect for me so I'm really hoping to get an offer there. I've also applied for fine art at Oxford (just got rejected on friday), Newcastle, and Brighton.
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I'm so sorry to hear that you've been unsuccessful at Oxford.I'd make it a matter of urgency to ask for feedback on your application so that you can use the time between now and when ECA and GSA will request to see your digital portfolio to make improvements.ECA is incredibly competitive, as is GSA and knowing where your weaknesses are will be key. You have 2 months so anything you can do in this time will be time well spent.Good luck. 🍀
Aliceejohnson
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by JulieClareRead)
I'm so sorry to hear that you've been unsuccessful at Oxford.I'd make it a matter of urgency to ask for feedback on your application so that you can use the time between now and when ECA and GSA will request to see your digital portfolio to make improvements.ECA is incredibly competitive, as is GSA and knowing where your weaknesses are will be key. You have 2 months so anything you can do in this time will be time well spent.Good luck. 🍀
Thanks for the advice - I've just written an email to send to the admissions officer at the college I applied to asking for feedback that I'll send in the morning. Are you applying to ECA?
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Great, that's good news, ensure that you understand how they've assessed your folio and the comments / grades that they've given you. No I'm not applying, I used to teach there for 9 years and assess entrance portfolios.
jsaffer424
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Thank god this thread exists. Hello, I am an American student trying to apply to ECA for graphic design, and navigating the UK system has been quite the journey to say the least. However, I didn’t really understand what I was supposed to include in the portfolio? I am currently awaiting a response from the school over email, but I thought I might ask here. ECA has some interesting requirements compared to other schools. As I read on their website, it said that they required “Up to 10 images of sketchbook work, 10 images of finished work, and up to 5 images that demonstrate your influences”. What does the influence part even mean? Should I go on the internet and literally copy paste the art of my favorite artists and call it a day, or is there more nuance that I am not understanding? Let me know.
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi there, you've got it, the context part is anything, any place, objects, people that have influenced you. So artist and designers and as you're applying to Graphic Design it's important that you include some contemporary graphic designers. Also, what has influenced you? I'd try to get some designers but also the things that have had an influence on ideas in your folio etc. I guess you've looked at this too? https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...compressed.pdf
Aliceejohnson
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi there, you've got it, the context part is anything, any place, objects, people that have influenced you. So artist and designers and as you're applying to Graphic Design it's important that you include some contemporary graphic designers. Also, what has influenced you? I'd try to get some designers but also the things that have had an influence on ideas in your folio etc. I guess you've looked at this too? https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...compressed.pdf
Do we need to put our influences together with our own work, or do we just make a slide of every artist we like and has inspired us?
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Aliceejohnson)
Do we need to put our influences together with our own work, or do we just make a slide of every artist we like and has inspired us?
Hi Alice, they ask for 2-5 images of context - so these are the slides for those artists, designers and things, places, people, objects that have inspired/influenced you. It's up to you how you do it, you perhaps have much of this in your sketchbook with annotations, so you could photograph those pages in your sketchbook to demonstrate it. Or you could lift them off the internet like @jsaffer424 said and paste them into a slide/s. This is where it's up to you to do what you think is going to show it best and this also helps them to see how well you can present your ideas and influences. Hope this helps.
Last edited by JulieClareRead; 5 months ago
jsaffer424
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi Alice, they ask for 2-5 images of context - so these are the slides for those artists, designers and things, places, people, objects that have inspired/influenced you. It's up to you how you do it, you perhaps have much of this in your sketchbook with annotations, so you could photograph those pages in your sketchbook to demonstrate it. Or you could lift them off the internet like @jsaffer424 said and paste them into a slide/s. This is where it's up to you to do what you think is going to show it best and this also helps them to see how well you can present your ideas and influences.
When you say you need 2-5 images for context, is that 2-5 slides or 2-5 images? Can I put three images on one slide and that means I have 4 slides left, or does that mean I only have 2 images left. Thanks! You’re quite the lifesaver.
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi there, I can only say what I do with student portfolios whom I work with, some have been accepted and made offers, others haven't - remember ECA is extremely competitive. So just to be clear I don't work there now, I left in 2008.I usually work with students to compile a slide with a few images of artists and designers, make sure you're not putting loads on though as their stipulation for images to be no larger than 800 pixels is quite small. Meaning that if you cram it too full, if they try to zoom in the images will be very pixelated. So a few images, 3 should be fine.Hope this helps.
EdgarEmily
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi there, I can only say what I do with student portfolios whom I work with, some have been accepted and made offers, others haven't - remember ECA is extremely competitive. So just to be clear I don't work there now, I left in 2008.I usually work with students to compile a slide with a few images of artists and designers, make sure you're not putting loads on though as their stipulation for images to be no larger than 800 pixels is quite small. Meaning that if you cram it too full, if they try to zoom in the images will be very pixelated. So a few images, 3 should be fine.Hope this helps.
Do you have any advice for creating a portfolio. Like things ECA likes and dislikes? If you could give any hints or tips specifically relating to illustration It would greatly appreciated!
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hiya, I think to ensure you've read the guidance pdf properly, that's key. Illustration obviously love lots of good, solid drawing, but about things you're interested in, not just drawing for drawing's sake. Also, the narrative, and communication of ideas, after all...you're illsutrating a story, an editorial or book cover etc. and it's important you can interpret well. Essential to have a good understanding of contemporary illustrators too I'd say, for your context. Hope this helps. https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...compressed.pdf
EdgarEmily
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
How is everyone doing with their portfolios?
kirstinkellybone
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by EdgarEmily)
Do you have any advice for creating a portfolio. Like things ECA likes and dislikes? If you could give any hints or tips specifically relating to illustration It would greatly appreciated!
Are you applying to Illustration too? I am and I am so scared, I applied last year and didn't get in for it so really hoping I do this year! How are you getting on with your portfolio?
kirstinkellybone
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hey everyone! I am applying for ECA Illustration and also Animation, and GSA Communication Design. This is my second year doing UCAS so hopefully this year I can get my first choice, which I did not last year - which was why I ended up going to college. How is everyone feeling about their applications, portfolio, etc? Think it is great for us to have a platform we can use to support each other while we endure the dreaded wait...
JulieClareRead
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kirstinkellybone)
Hey everyone! I am applying for ECA Illustration and also Animation, and GSA Communication Design. This is my second year doing UCAS so hopefully this year I can get my first choice, which I did not last year - which was why I ended up going to college. How is everyone feeling about their applications, portfolio, etc? Think it is great for us to have a platform we can use to support each other while we endure the dreaded wait...
Hi Kirstin, did you get some feedback about your folio last year and the areas where it was weaker? Hopefully, good luck making improvements.
Last edited by JulieClareRead; 4 months ago
kirstinkellybone
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi Kirstin, did you get some feedback about your folio last year and the areas where it was weaker? Hopefully, good luck making improvements.
No, unfortunately, I did not. thank you! Good luck to you as well
abonny
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm applying for painting and printmaking at GSA. how long does it usually take them to get back if you get an interview or not ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
15.79%
The paper was reasonable (134)
50.38%
Not feeling great about that exam... (67)
25.19%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
8.65%

Watched Threads