The Student Room Group

Do you feel safe as a woman walking home at night?

With winter approaching, clocks turning back and with the recent happenings in the media (injections, women getting killed walking home) do you feel safe walking home at night? And does the season change create a change in routine for you, e.g, if you used to go to the gym in the evening before would you not go or go another time?
Original post by zonsori
With winter approaching, clocks turning back and with the recent happenings in the media (injections, women getting killed walking home) do you feel safe walking home at night? And does the season change create a change in routine for you, e.g, if you used to go to the gym in the evening before would you not go or go another time?

I feel safe when I walk home after a long 12 hour plus shift at work as I'm only a ten minutes walk home.
I not worried about being assaulted as I am more than capable of handling myself.

End of the day we shouldn't have to hide ourselves away from those people who do this.
Reply 2
Not a woman, obviously, but wopuldnt it rather depend on where you live? IOf you live in east/south london (or similar) id be worried about walking home (hell, i was when i lived there) on the flip side if you live in the countryside it tends to be rather safe with the worst thing being speeding cars
Reply 3
As a man, I am worried about walking home in the dark. I am surely a potential target just like anyone else and having being mugged in the street three times in my life I am all too aware of the risks.
Reply 4
I'm one of those people who hides up trees with binoculars. I often see other men hiding in the bushes below and shout to warn women before they pounce.
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
Not a woman, obviously, but wopuldnt it rather depend on where you live? IOf you live in east/south london (or similar) id be worried about walking home (hell, i was when i lived there) on the flip side if you live in the countryside it tends to be rather safe with the worst thing being speeding cars

I think it varies from person to person. For example, where I live is quite rural and it's really creepy at night, plus if someone is walking and it's just us then I'd speed up a little bit. I then lived in Notts for a few years in a really rough area and I used to be fine most of the time walking home after work at midnight (mainly because I had no other option).
Reply 6
Original post by hotpud
As a man, I am worried about walking home in the dark. I am surely a potential target just like anyone else and having being mugged in the street three times in my life I am all too aware of the risk

I completely agree that men are also valid in feeling unsafe when walking home for other reasons. What I think is interesting is that the perpetrators of certain crimes (mugging/stabbings) often tend to be men and it's funny how men and women alike are worried about the same group of people.
Reply 7
Original post by zonsori
I completely agree that men are also valid in feeling unsafe when walking home for other reasons. What I think is interesting is that the perpetrators of certain crimes (mugging/stabbings) often tend to be men and it's funny how men and women alike are worried about the same group of people.

Agreed. My umbridge is that attacks are seen as men against women. To me, it is just attacks. The sex of the victim is rather irrelevant. Yes, it is men who tend to be the perpetrator, but the issue here is people attacking people at night. Bringing sex into the debate just polarises opinion and narrows opportunity for meaningful solutions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending