The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent university 22/23 applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I'm an international student and I have applied for the BSc Actuarial Science course. Super nervous and excited to go to university, hoping to get an offer soon. Good luck to all fellow applicants out there! :smile:

Congratulations on your offer! We look forward to seeing you!
Any questions please Dont hesitate to ask!
- Dale UKC rep
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi!
Congratulations on your offer! If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask and we hope to see you in September. Best of luck with your studies.

Tracy
-UCK Rep

HI
What's student life like at Kent? in terms of social life and kent city?
Possibly looking to study english lit 2023 at kent.
Thanks!
Hello everyone!

This will be a thread for Kent 22/23 applicants! :smile: It'd be great for you to get to know each other and if we can be of any help - let us know! :smile:

In a form of an introduction you could answer a few questions:
1. What course are you applying for?
2. Why Kent uni?
3. Are there any societies you can't wait to join?
4. How are you feeling about starting uni?

We're looking forward to seeing your answers!
- Dale

1. History (I have gotten an offer :h:)
2. Kent has a really nice campus, and I love the fact that it's in Canterbury. Also there are so many modules to choose from!
3. Maybe a newspaper society? Or History society?
4. I feel okay - I just really need to learn how to cook. :biggrin:
Original post by sabrina.san
HI
What's student life like at Kent? in terms of social life and kent city?
Possibly looking to study english lit 2023 at kent.
Thanks!

Hi!

Personally, so far my experience at Kent has been very positive; the university is very supportive and we have a student body called Kent Union that organises plenty of events to boost student engagement and that oversees student experience at university. I think life at Kent can be lively and very calm. Within each accommodation area there's a strong sense of community and I like how they each have their own restaurant and study hub, where you can meet your first friends. The food is affordable and in most restaurants you can play pool or table tennis and they are all very nice places to hang out with your friends after your lectures. Also, Wednesdays are really fun because it is game day so it's nice being on campus where every team is having a match and then everyone goes to the campus club for the night! Every Wednesday and Friday, there are regular clubbing events, if you are interested.

Societies can really make your university life much livelier. There is a society for almost anything you can think of! So if you are interested in English you join any society that you'd be interested in. People at Kent are extremely friendly and I have managed to meet so many talented students and work on so many projects. I believe having a social live here is very easy, especially without all the restrictions! Also, as I mentioned before, there is plenty of support from the university. We have a wellbeing service, nursing surface, security service, employment service and a medical centre. These in particular are extremely helpful and they helped my transition from home to university, especially during the pandemic.

Lastly, the scenario is amazing. Having so many green areas and beautiful views of the town makes every walk to campus a very pleasant one. Town centre is one bus away; it's down the hill and most of us even walk there. When none of these are an option, there are plenty of cab services that can get you where you need to be.

I hope this answers your question and we hope you'll join us soon! In the mean time, best of luck with your studies.

Tracy
- UKC

Being independent is as fun as distracting sometimes, so I believe
Are there any student jobs at Kent?
Are there any student jobs at Kent?

Hey there,

Yes! In fact, that's how I got this job of responding to you, haha!

The University of Kent has great employability programmes. Their work-study scheme aims at connecting students with relevant jobs, and jobs that work alongside their degree without being too intense. We have roles that help with our marketing campaigns, answering forums and social media, web design, general admin roles and a bunch more.

The University also offer employability points, which are a currency earned by doing activities during your time at University which can be exchanged for things like internships. You can find more information here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/employability-points

Hope this helped!

Nathan
UKC Rep
Hey there,

Yes! In fact, that's how I got this job of responding to you, haha!

The University of Kent has great employability programmes. Their work-study scheme aims at connecting students with relevant jobs, and jobs that work alongside their degree without being too intense. We have roles that help with our marketing campaigns, answering forums and social media, web design, general admin roles and a bunch more.

The University also offer employability points, which are a currency earned by doing activities during your time at University which can be exchanged for things like internships. You can find more information here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/employability-points

Hope this helped!

Nathan
UKC Rep

Thank you!
Anybody who got in for Finance and Investment BSC
How long does it take for Kent to reply to your application? I made them my firm choice a month ago and I haven't heard anything back since.
Hi! I'm an international student and I received an offer to study MSc in Digital Marketing & Analytics at Medway campus. but I have no idea about medway campus it's too far from the main city.
Hi! I'm an international student and I received an offer to study MSc in Digital Marketing & Analytics at Medway campus. but I have no idea about medway campus it's too far from the main city.

Hey there!

The University of Kent offers two UK-based campuses, Canterbury and Medway. If you live in Canterbury, the University offers a free shuttle which runs regularly which goes from the Canterbury campus to the Medway campus and back. It's a really beautiful area which is very close to London.

If living in Medway creates a challenge for your study, I would recommend you email [email protected] to see what arrangements can be made, or perhaps an alternative course.

Best of luck,
Nathan

UKC Rep
Reply 31
Hello everyone!

This will be a thread for Kent 22/23 applicants! :smile: It'd be great for you to get to know each other and if we can be of any help - let us know! :smile:

2. Why Kent uni?

- Dale

Hello, I am Ritu from India. I have accepted my offer and will be starting my PhD in English in September. Would love to meet fellow international and doctoral students at the Uni. Could you tell me what it means to study remotely and why is it being given as an option this session? Is it because of COVID and will the degree be a distance education one or a full time degree? I am really looking forward to arriving at the Uni though.
Original post by ritu_21
Hello, I am Ritu from India. I have accepted my offer and will be starting my PhD in English in September. Would love to meet fellow international and doctoral students at the Uni. Could you tell me what it means to study remotely and why is it being given as an option this session? Is it because of COVID and will the degree be a distance education one or a full time degree? I am really looking forward to arriving at the Uni though.

Hey @ritu_21!

Congratulations on the offer, and I'm really glad to hear you have accepted it!
I hope you manage to connect with other international and doctoral students, in the meantime, don't forget to keep an eye out on Kent's other social media such as Facebook. It's a primary way our students begin to know one-another before the term begins.

Studying remotely is to give greater access to education in an age of COVID. It is optional, and it's an option I have taken during my postgraduate. It gave me the flexibility to attend my classes remotely. This is typically done over teams. Studying remotely comes with challenges, such as it being harder to connect with other students, but the University does its all to alleviate these issues. I've met some amazing people on my course whilst being remote, and I have no regrets for it.

I hope this helps!
Nathan
UKC Rep
Hello everyone!

2. Why Kent uni?

- Dale

Hi I'm Scarlet, I've applied for social policy, social change and politics. Kent is 3rd in the UK for my subject area and the uni has always been very helpful and friendly when I've gone to visit, I love the campus and Canterbury is a really nice city. I'm looking forward to continuing athletics at uni and joining a netball and maybe hockey team, I'm also looking forward to joining the choir. I'm excited to start uni and meet new people!
Original post by scarlet614
Hi I'm Scarlet, I've applied for social policy, social change and politics. Kent is 3rd in the UK for my subject area and the uni has always been very helpful and friendly when I've gone to visit, I love the campus and Canterbury is a really nice city. I'm looking forward to continuing athletics at uni and joining a netball and maybe hockey team, I'm also looking forward to joining the choir. I'm excited to start uni and meet new people!

Hi!
I hope you are all well and it is great to hear that you are looking forward to joining us! Yes, I remember the university being so welcoming when I applied up until when I fully settled in, it made me feel very at home already, so it is great that you already have a positive experience with us :smile: I am sure that when you came to visit the campus you also had a chance to speak to students and visit all the facilities and accommodation options too.
The good thing about Kent is that it is very is to carrying on pursuing your interests: I have friends that do athletics, a close friend of mine plays hockey and we do have multiple choir as well, so you will have no issues making friends! In September we have a very lively freshers fair at the end of the first week where students have the chance to see what societies are out there, so you can keep an eye out for these events, speak to societies members and see what they have to offer.
Kent is a great place to be and so far I've had a wonderful experience just growing and developing beyond my degree and academics.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies and we hope to see you soon! In the meantime, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Tracy
UKC Rep
Hello, Could you tell me about Woolf college accommodation? I hear the plumbing isn't that great and there is also problem with the wifi, heaters etc. Read it at studentcrowd. As an international post grad I would really like some authentic advice. I have applied for accom, but we can change it till june. So, any help or advice will be really, really appreciated.Also, I read about the Kent student card or something which lets you have food on the various restaurants in the uni for a lower price. Is it worth buying?Thanks.
Original post by euphemist_jo
Hello, Could you tell me about Woolf college accommodation? I hear the plumbing isn't that great and there is also problem with the wifi, heaters etc. Read it at studentcrowd. As an international post grad I would really like some authentic advice. I have applied for accom, but we can change it till june. So, any help or advice will be really, really appreciated.Also, I read about the Kent student card or something which lets you have food on the various restaurants in the uni for a lower price. Is it worth buying?Thanks.

Hey there @euphemist_jo!

Sorry to hear you have read these reviews. I have just checked the website, and these reviews are from two years ago. My closest friend stayed in Woolf for her postgraduate this year (2021-2022) and she loved it. There were not any faults with plumbing or the WIFI. Although we cannot guarantee any speeds, when I stayed in Turing College (They all share the same wifi) I got speeds up to 100mbps. The best part of Woolf is that it is all postgraduate students, so you're around equally mature and sensible students.

You Kent card is free - it's your student idea. It grants you a 10% discount on all University catering outlets (which are already really cheap! Have a look at Mungo's).

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Nathan
UKC Rep
Hey there @euphemist_jo!

Sorry to hear you have read these reviews. I have just checked the website, and these reviews are from two years ago. My closest friend stayed in Woolf for her postgraduate this year (2021-2022) and she loved it. There were not any faults with plumbing or the WIFI. Although we cannot guarantee any speeds, when I stayed in Turing College (They all share the same wifi) I got speeds up to 100mbps. The best part of Woolf is that it is all postgraduate students, so you're around equally mature and sensible students.

You Kent card is free - it's your student idea. It grants you a 10% discount on all University catering outlets (which are already really cheap! Have a look at Mungo's).

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Nathan
UKC Rep

Hey Nathan. That's so helpful and positive. Thanks a bunch for the info.
And, I was referring to the Kent Flex Catering package. Is that any good or the Kent card is enough to survive uni?
Original post by euphemist_jo
Hey Nathan. That's so helpful and positive. Thanks a bunch for the info.
And, I was referring to the Kent Flex Catering package. Is that any good or the Kent card is enough to survive uni?

Ah ha, I see!

I think it really depends on the individual. I'm personally someone who likes cooking, so I found it easier to purchase ingredients in bulk and cook at home - plus, you don't need to go out to get food if you're feel lazy. Cooking food is also a great way to hangout with friends and flatmates since you can all cook together, or chip in and make a big meal.

Nathan
UKC Rep
Hi!
I hope you are all well and it is great to hear that you are looking forward to joining us! Yes, I remember the university being so welcoming when I applied up until when I fully settled in, it made me feel very at home already, so it is great that you already have a positive experience with us :smile: I am sure that when you came to visit the campus you also had a chance to speak to students and visit all the facilities and accommodation options too.
The good thing about Kent is that it is very is to carrying on pursuing your interests: I have friends that do athletics, a close friend of mine plays hockey and we do have multiple choir as well, so you will have no issues making friends! In September we have a very lively freshers fair at the end of the first week where students have the chance to see what societies are out there, so you can keep an eye out for these events, speak to societies members and see what they have to offer.
Kent is a great place to be and so far I've had a wonderful experience just growing and developing beyond my degree and academics.

I wish you the best of luck with your studies and we hope to see you soon! In the meantime, if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Tracy
UKC Rep

Thank you so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending