The Student Room Group

Have you ever been happy with a low grade?

Scroll to see replies

I got a B in psych statistics. I really struggle with math so that was a pretty big achievement.
Original post by Noodlzzz
I also got a C in GCSE art and now a part time artist :colone:

A good example for the significance of grades and subjects. I feel vindicated.
Yeah I got a bad grade in A-Level Business

But it helped me realise the reason why was because I ****ing hate business....

The funny thing was I actually accepted an offer to study business management at university, so the realization helped me realise I really needed a year to figure myself out.
As an older adult, I've scraped passes in a couple of exams that are normally taken by children (in once case, by children aged under ten). I'm proud of both.
don't be upset that you failed, be happy that you tried
Original post by Jonathanツ
Yeah I got a bad grade in A-Level Business

But it helped me realise the reason why was because I ****ing hate business....

The funny thing was I actually accepted an offer to study business management at university, so the realization helped me realise I really needed a year to figure myself out.

Failing anatomy I 3 times made me realize maybe I'm not cut out for nursing. :colondollar: I'm glad you realized before wasting all that money. :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Failing anatomy I 3 times made me realize maybe I'm not cut out for nursing. :colondollar: I'm glad you realized before wasting all that money. :smile:

Wasting the money wouldn't have even been the worst part, that would have been spending my life working in a job I hate, but yeah I'm pretty grateful I came to that realization.

Did you end up doing nursing? just interested lol
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
don't be upset that you failed, be happy that you tried

Nice statement! that is the main point. I would even add and say:

...and when you failed, stand up and make it better next time.
I was delighted when I passed my maths O level back in the day (GCSE grade 4 equivalent). It took me an extra year and a maths tutor but finally I passed my most difficult subject!
I had the same, I was expecting a 3 in English but got a 4 and was so happy. But my family and friends didn't see it as a good grade, but I was just happy I passed
Original post by jonathanemptage
I was i knew from day 1 that that particular subject was a mistake for me but the collage wouldn't let me drop it I was fully expecting to get a U in it come results day. it turned out I had just scraped an E and was very pleased (I knew I'd tried my best).

So my question is if you knew you'd tried your best and expected a lower grade or to fail would you have been pleased?

It’s happened to me a few times, I don’t like or understand all subjects, so some I’m happy to pass with very low grades and others I pass with very good grades, that allows me to maintain balance and keep going on to get my degree.
I got a 2:2 at university during the Covid outbreak. I couldn't use the uni facilities, and everything was just really difficult. So yeah, I'm proud I managed to get second class honours, despite everything that was going on.
Original post by Joel 96
I got a 2:2 at university during the Covid outbreak. I couldn't use the uni facilities, and everything was just really difficult. So yeah, I'm proud I managed to get second class honours, despite everything that was going on.

Congrats!:woo::party2:
Good luck with your future studies and career ambitions.
Original post by londonmyst
Congrats!:woo::party2:
Good luck with your future studies and career ambitions.

Thank you, Mysty! :tongue:
No, I went all out for graded stuff, but if work was pass/fail I aimed for brisk efficiency.

(I came up through City & Guilds, so needed a Distinction to be sure of progressing, same for HNC)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96

Unfortunately, I will also end up with a 2.2. The degree was a massive waste of my time. I didn't know that pretty much every graduate scheme requires you to get at least a 2.1. If I knew the reality behind university, I would have done something completely different. So to answer the question, I have never been happy with a low grade.
There's two categories of this happening to me. One is simply missing exams or assignments for dumb reasons or on technicalities. Sucks and I regret it, but what's done is done. The other is when I've gone into stuff under-prepared - I was never a very systematic student, not in the way I am now anyway. I was still pleased with my A levels and overall degree classification etc., but it always irks me to know I could've done better.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by studycraft
Unfortunately, I will also end up with a 2.2. The degree was a massive waste of my time. I didn't know that pretty much every graduate scheme requires you to get at least a 2.1. If I knew the reality behind university, I would have done something completely different. So to answer the question, I have never been happy with a low grade.

Aw, sorry to hear that. Yeah, it's true that most employers do prefer 2:1s, but a 2:2 isn't the end of the world. This probably sounds like a massive cope, but it seems to me that it's way better to have a degree than not have one. I managed to get into a career eventually, currently working as a resourcer. I know for a fact that they wouldn't have taken me in if I didn't have my 2:2, so there's definitely opportunities out there.

I do feel the same way sometimes though, especially when I think about the student loans that I have to pay back.
Original post by TCA2b
There's two categories of this has happening to me. Once is simply missing exams or assignments for dumb reasons or on technicalities. Sucks and I regret it, but what's done is done. The other is when I've gone into stuff under-prepared - I was never a very systematic student, not in the way I am now anyway. I was still pleased with my A levels and overall degree classification etc., but it always irks me to know I could've done better.

At least you know you could've done better. I ended getting an awful degree classification and I know that I could not have done much better, because I am a dumbass compared to everyone else in my course and have a below average IQ. It is better to feel like you could've done better, rather than feeling like a moron compared to everyone else.
As sad as it sounds, I am sure that I am dumber than 99% of the students in my course :frown: Most of my university grades in first and second years were terrible.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending