Is the plasma membrane what acts as an antigen in cell membrane?

Watch this thread
zarahh09
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
JA03
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by zarahh09)
The plasma membrane HAS antigens so the body's immune system recognises the cell and doesn't attack it.
zarahh09
(Original post by JA03)
The plasma membrane HAS antigens so the body's immune system recognises the cell and doesn't attack it.
so it is an antigen?
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
so it is an antigen?
An antigen is something (often a protein, glycoprotein or carbohydrate) that is capable of generating an antibody response. The plasma membrane in and of itself does not generate an immune response, however, it contains proteins, glycoproteins, etc. which stimulate an immune response.
zarahh09
(Original post by Jpw1097)
An antigen is something (often a protein, glycoprotein or carbohydrate) that is capable of generating an antibody response. The plasma membrane in and of itself does not generate an immune response, however, it contains proteins, glycoproteins, etc. which stimulate an immune response.
ooh. I been writing about the wrong thing all this times
So what actaully acts as an antigen in cell membrane then?
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
ooh. I been writing about the wrong thing all this times
So what actaully acts as an antigen in cell membrane then?
As I said, it’s usually proteins, glycoproteins and sugars attached to the plasma membrane. If you think about it, this makes sense. The plasma membrane is just a phospholipid bilayer, it wouldn’t make sense to mount an immune response against this phospholipid bilayer as cells are made up of this, and the immune system would attack all of your cells.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads