The Student Room Group

To whoever goes to the GYM

How did you start, for example what were the exercises you started off with?
And is the beginning always hard? thanks
There so many and depend on your aims and goals. They have staff on hand to ask questions and a lot of the machines will have how to displayed in the them.
Reply 2
It was SO HARD to start going trust me. And it can be difficult looking around and trying to figure stuff out by yourself for maybe the first one or two visits, but if u keep at it, you will be SO GLAD u started . I recommend asking for an induction, that will help loadss. They show u all the machines and how to use them so ur at a better stage when joining. Trust me everyone’s been through the joining phase and knows how hard it can be, and you’ll defo not be the only beginner- they’re joining all the time !! The first couple times I went I just used the machines I was shown during the induction without any real plan, just trying them out and getting used to them. As you proceed, you can come up with a plan by doing research and watching good yt videos, eg a leg day and arm day upper body day and back day etc. If u keep at it it’ll become habit, and going to the gym would be a normal part of ur morning/evening routine. My advice is go there, get used to the environment first off, even if that’s just going on a few cardio machines eg the treadmill, and go from there. You’ll figure it out as u go along : )
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Amin7

push ups
Original post by Amin7

Well I dont actually GO to the gym... I have a home gym. and I started with just bicep curls... One of my biggest regrets. Its best to start out with a routine that can exercise all of the muscles in the body, but with light weight. Then you will be able to slowly increase the weight as time goes on. And yes, the beginning is always hard, sometimes ur muscles will ache and u will feel like nothing's changing.. Dont give up at that point tho..
Reply 5
Original post by Amin7

The beginning was not hard for me personally. I think that this was because I went with friends who knew what they were doing and we didn't go too heavy too early. As for exercises, that really depends on your specific goals but for me I did a push, pull, legs routine.
I started exercising in the gym with my friends and cousins when I was teenage now i don't need because my body is very fit and smart ..
The beginning is hard I'm going to be honest. I started off with cardio to get me in to the gym really...spin bike, treadmill, cross trainer etc. I then moved to weight training starting with compound exercises such as bench press, shoulder press, squats etc. Then I added in a few isolations like side raises, leg curls. I'm quite lucky in that my boyfriend is a personal trainer so he writes all my training plans but I'm sure he would agree with me in saying that what your training programme looks like is highly individualised and really does depend on your goals, lifestyle, body composition etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest