The Student Room Group

Did bad in a-levels. Will I be able to get into Uni after an extra BTEC course?

As the title says, I didn't do too well with my a-levels (B in photography, C in Media, E in Graphic Design). This year I've taken a third year at my college to do a BTEC. At the time my main motivation for this was to just make the most of another free year of education but now I've decided I would like to go to Uni and am slightly worried. The course I want to take requires BBC in a-levels or DMM in a BTEC. Obviously I haven't got the A-level grades but I should be able to get the BTEC grade now I have the motivation of uni, and I will also have a good portfolio by the end of the year.

What I want to know is whether Universities will just right off my application once they see the a-level grades, or consider the BTEC grade too plus my portfolio.

Do they take quantity over quality?

What are my chances? The course is visual effects so I don't think its too high demand in comparison to others.

Edit: The UCAS point requirement is also 112-120, which means I should technically have enough points by the end of this BTEC too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Ring them up and ask them if BCE plus your BTEC will be accepted if you can get the tariff points.
Original post by ddfen
As the title says, I didn't do too well with my a-levels (B in photography, C in Media, E in Graphic Design). This year I've taken a third year at my college to do a BTEC. At the time my main motivation for this was to just make the most of another free year of education but now I've decided I would like to go to Uni and am slightly worried. The course I want to take requires BBC in a-levels or DMM in a BTEC. Obviously I haven't got the A-level grades but I should be able to get the BTEC grade now I have the motivation of uni, and I will also have a good portfolio by the end of the year.

What I want to know is whether Universities will just right off my application once they see the a-level grades, or consider the BTEC grade too plus my portfolio.

Do they take quantity over quality?

What are my chances? The course is visual effects so I don't think its too high demand in comparison to others.

Edit: The UCAS point requirement is also 112-120, which means I should technically have enough points by the end of this BTEC too.

Hi @ddfen 👋,

As suggested by a previous answer I would firstly get in contact with your chosen universities administrations team or if you can find the direct email of your course try and email them directly.
As all universities and courses are looking for different things in their applicants it will be hard for you to get a definitive answer without contacting them directly. In the email I would explain who you are and your situation and then ask them for some guidance.
Alternatively, if emailing does not work you could look and see if they have an open day coming up and then attend that. During this you will be able to chat to your course lecturers and get a feel for your choice of university.

All applicants are considered on an individual basis and there are lots of different factors that they look at.
Luckily with visual effects you will need to show a portfolio and although your personal statement is important this is also crucial for creative courses so this will be hold quite bit of weight in your application.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Best wishes,
Shelby - UoP Rep 😃
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @ddfen 👋,

As suggested by a previous answer I would firstly get in contact with your chosen universities administrations team or if you can find the direct email of your course try and email them directly.
As all universities and courses are looking for different things in their applicants it will be hard for you to get a definitive answer without contacting them directly. In the email I would explain who you are and your situation and then ask them for some guidance.
Alternatively, if emailing does not work you could look and see if they have an open day coming up and then attend that. During this you will be able to chat to your course lecturers and get a feel for your choice of university.

All applicants are considered on an individual basis and there are lots of different factors that they look at.
Luckily with visual effects you will need to show a portfolio and although your personal statement is important this is also crucial for creative courses so this will be hold quite bit of weight in your application.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Best wishes,
Shelby - UoP Rep 😃

Thank you for the advice!

Just got an email back from the uni saying that they would definitely be taking my application into consideration :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
As long as you get the points and your portfolio is decent, a lot of very good courses will consider you. Very few will even look at your A Level grades.

Quick Reply

Latest