crookedcrystal
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, some background. I am a high achieving student who moved school for year 12 in September. My old school was a standard state comp which wasn't bad, but wasn't really challenging either. My new school does the IB instead of A levels. I am already finding the workload tough and I know it will only continue to get worse throughout year 13, and I'm not really mad keen on any of my subjects, which are as follows:
HL: maths AA, bio, history
SL: eng lit lang, social anthropology, french B
I don't hate them, in fact I quite like my HLs, but I see the SLs as a pointless as I don't really care about them. I know that my old school would let me back in, but I am happy in most other aspects of this new school, so what do I do??
Last edited by crookedcrystal; 4 weeks ago
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey! I’m sorry to hear that you’re not having a great experience with IB. What do you want to study at university and which A-Levels would you be interested in studying if you go down that route? Also, have you spoken to your current school about your concerns?

I’ve just finished the IB and although it wasn’t easy, the workload was manageable if you paced yourself well. The only subjects we have in common are Bio HL and French B, but I’m happy to answer any questions you have about those
crookedcrystal
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IBkidinthecorner)
Hey! I’m sorry to hear that you’re not having a great experience with IB. What do you want to study at university and which A-Levels would you be interested in studying if you go down that route? Also, have you spoken to your current school about your concerns?

I’ve just finished the IB and although it wasn’t easy, the workload was manageable if you paced yourself well. The only subjects we have in common are Bio HL and French B, but I’m happy to answer any questions you have about those
Hi! I'm pretty sure I want to do something social science related at uni (eg linguistics or psychology) and the a levels I would switch to are Maths, bio and Art (the art is a bit of a wild card here but I am really missing doing it in school and if I do move I would love to start it again). I haven't spoken to my current school, though that is probably a good idea, I think I'll talk to my head of year tomorrow.

With good pacing for the IB, what kind of time frames are you talking about? I'm not sure how much work to do after school each night (some of my friends do tonnes lol), and how does it increase in year 13? Also, how much time/energy did the IAs + the EE + tok take out of you in year 13? ugh so many questions sorry
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by crookedcrystal)
Hi! I'm pretty sure I want to do something social science related at uni (eg linguistics or psychology) and the a levels I would switch to are Maths, bio and Art (the art is a bit of a wild card here but I am really missing doing it in school and if I do move I would love to start it again). I haven't spoken to my current school, though that is probably a good idea, I think I'll talk to my head of year tomorrow.

With good pacing for the IB, what kind of time frames are you talking about? I'm not sure how much work to do after school each night (some of my friends do tonnes lol), and how does it increase in year 13? Also, how much time/energy did the IAs + the EE + tok take out of you in year 13? ugh so many questions sorry
No worries at all! Tbh I didn’t do much at home in year 12, but I’d recommend revising any concepts you find difficult so that studying for tests (especially mocks) is not too stressful. The main increase in year 13 is that you have less end of topic tests and more tests that contain multiple topics and, where applicable, HL content so there is more to revise and tests are often more challenging.

For me, it really depended on the IA. I wrote my biology IA in two weeks, but my HL essay for English dragged on for months. I did my EE in chemistry, so it was delayed by 6 months and was very rushed and stressful. My school set an internal EE deadline for the end of the first months of year 13, so we get the EE out of the way early, although I only submitted mine at the start of November due to covid. TOK was negligible honestly; I did my presentation (exhibition for you as the syllabus has changed) at the end of year 12 and submitted my essay in January of year 13. Our other IAs all had to be completed by mid February latest.

Also, seeing as you’re considering psychology, would taking Psychology as a subject be an option for you?

I hope this is helpful in some way! Any other questions please let me know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.79%
Okay (69)
28.87%
A bit lacking (89)
37.24%
Not good at all (60)
25.1%

Watched Threads