Medicine without science alevels ( and without previous med related experience)

Watch
notoliviax
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, so I’m currently on a gap year and have a place to do law at uni in September. However, I’ve been thinking about doing medicine for long time - I have family who work in the field and I’m very interested in it. I’ve not so keen on law anymore and would love to do medicine but I did all essay based subjects - got AAA - and I’m not sure what the best route into it would be. Also don’t have any experience to put in a personal statement. Any thoughts would be appreciated
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
You should get some work experience either in a GP or hospital or volunteer in a care home before deciding on medicine. The only medical school with no A-level subject requirements is Newcastle but they have a high UCAT cutoff (2820 non-partners, 2720 partners for 2021 entry). This means that they only interview people with the top 10% of UCAT scores. If you're 100% set on doing medicine then take a fresh set of A-levels with biology and chemistry with a third subject of anything except Cambridge where you need physics or maths. Never do a degree just for GEM as it is more competitive, time consuming and expensive.
lunariumxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
do some work experience , maybe take undergraduate bio med and then go in as a graduate or you can do just a chemistry alevel and then apply to unis that only want chem
Incidentaloma
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Manchester has a six-year medicine course specifically for people who have good A-level grades in arts/non-science subjects. Other unis might offer this extra foundation year as well, but Manchester is the only one I know about.

Definitely get a relevant job to help you decide. Even if you decide against medicine, you will have a bit of extra cash for uni, and that's never a bad thing!
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Incidentaloma)
Manchester has a six-year medicine course specifically for people who have good A-level grades in arts/non-science subjects. Other unis might offer this extra foundation year as well, but Manchester is the only one I know about.

Definitely get a relevant job to help you decide. Even if you decide against medicine, you will have a bit of extra cash for uni, and that's never a bad thing!
Dundee is the other one.
Cardiff offered an A104 until this year, but have now dropped it.

notoliviax your current options are Newcastle A100, Dundee A104 and Manchester A104.
As suggested, you need to get some WEx this year, and it would open up more options if you sat chemistry +/- biology A level in this coming year, as you cannot apply until 2023 entry, now, and even one of chem/bio A levels would give you another choice, or possibly 2. If you did both, it is likely most med schools would consider you, dependent on grades.
If you have certain A levels (particularly Psychology) already, then there are several more options that would open up with 1 science A level

Otherwise, you can do an Access to Medicine course, but you need to check carefully, as not all med schools accept all access courses.
Fredly
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah I'd honestly research into foundation years, if that dosen't go well than you can always do foundation Clinical Sciences and then transfer to Leeds have that degree.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fredly)
Yeah I'd honestly research into foundation years, if that dosen't go well than you can always do foundation Clinical Sciences and then transfer to Leeds have that degree.
You make it sound so easy lol.

My advice is never ever do a course with the sole aim for GEM. And these transfer courses are even worse because your options are even more limited.

OP should either re-do their A-Levels (Biology and Chemistry as GANFYD suggested), or do Medicine with a Gateway Year courses (the "wrong A-Level" courses) and that's it. I would not advise any other route - they will all cost more, take longer and will be much more competitive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (3)
6.52%
Okay (17)
36.96%
A bit lacking (13)
28.26%
Not good at all (13)
28.26%

Watched Threads