Can I get 4.5 years of student finance?

Watch
caraaaajjjss
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am strongly considering dropping out now from Philosophy, I am in the first term of my second year. I think I would like to do fine art, however, I would probably have to apply from the beginning and the whole 3 years. Because I have already used a bit of my second year of student finance England, will 3 years of another degree be fully funded?
toomuchworktodo
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey hun, i dropped out this year to reapply for medicine! Student finance told me they’ll completely fund a new degree’s tuition but you’ll have a slightly reduced maintenance loan since you’ve already been given some! If it’s what you want to do then go for it!
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by toomuchworktodo)
Hey hun, i dropped out this year to reapply for medicine! Student finance told me they’ll completely fund a new degree’s tuition but you’ll have a slightly reduced maintenance loan since you’ve already been given some! If it’s what you want to do then go for it!
Medicine is an exception course with different rules for funding. It’ll be different for Fine Art.
toomuchworktodo
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
Medicine is an exception course with different rules for funding. It’ll be different for Fine Art.
Student finance gave me generalised advice about dropping out and reapplying for funding. They have funding for one “false start” on any course, I was just talking about my experience as an example it will be ok.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Student finance gave me generalised advice about dropping out and reapplying for funding. They have funding for one “false start” on any course, I was just talking about my experience as an example it will be ok.
I think you've misunderstood what they were telling you then. They only fully fund a do over if you're doing medicine and some other limited exceptional courses. For everyone else they only fund three years + plus the gift year and that's the most they will do. OP if they switch to fine art would have to self fund at least half of a year of their course if they go ahead with this.
Last edited by ROTL94; 4 weeks ago
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The OP in this case is in the midst of their second year. They will almost certainly have to set fund some or all of their first year on another course unless they very compelling circumstances for leaving the previous one.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
As above the "false start" is only for one year's worth of "false start". You get one so-called "gift year".

Source: I did two years at one uni, then changed to another uni to start in year 1 of the new course. I had to self fund the tuition fees in the first year in the new course.

(Original post by caraaaajjjss)
I am strongly considering dropping out now from Philosophy, I am in the first term of my second year. I think I would like to do fine art, however, I would probably have to apply from the beginning and the whole 3 years. Because I have already used a bit of my second year of student finance England, will 3 years of another degree be fully funded?
As above, you would be in my situation, and have to self fund the first year of the new course (you would get a maintenance loan but no tuition fee loan). SFE also only consider years in whole numbers, so if you've started and any finance has been paid to you/your uni, you are classified as having received a years worth of funding for the calculation of how many years of tuition fee loan entitlement you have. Also as noted, it is the first year in the new course you have to self fund - they don't let you wait until the last year to have no tuition fee loan, so you can't save up for the first two years to pay the last year. Thus, you may need to plan to take a break from your studies to save up some money before going back to uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads