The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Medicine

I am currently studying BTEC Health and Social Care and I am looking to apply for Biomedical Science (Foundation Year) hoping to get into a University in London. I have two questions:
1) If I do well in my Foundation Year at Middlesex University or West London Uni for Biomedical Science then can I then apply to King's College or UCL for the actual undergraduate degree.
2) If I do well in Biomedical Science 1st Year could I then apply straight to the Medicine degree e.g., 5 years.
I am only looking to apply at Greater London Universities.
Do you know of any Universities that have this option.
1) Check with the universities but I doubt it. @GANFYD thoughts?
2) Only some universities allow biomed transfers to med but it is unfeasable as it is more competitive than medicine and you're limited to 1 medical school. I think SGUL does transfers but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, you're going to be a doctor anyways so it's better to apply strategically rather than applying to all London universities.
Your other option is to finish a biomed degree and apply for GEM but it will be more expensive, time consuming and competitive than undergraduate medicine or study 3 A-levels including biology and chemistry and apply for undergraduate medicine.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently studying BTEC Health and Social Care and I am looking to apply for Biomedical Science (Foundation Year) hoping to get into a University in London. I have two questions:
1) If I do well in my Foundation Year at Middlesex University or West London Uni for Biomedical Science then can I then apply to King's College or UCL for the actual undergraduate degree.
2) If I do well in Biomedical Science 1st Year could I then apply straight to the Medicine degree e.g., 5 years.
I am only looking to apply at Greater London Universities.
Do you know of any Universities that have this option.

I don't know anyting about biomed, I'm afraid, but if you want to do medicine, the easiest, quickest and least competitive route is to sit 3 A levels, including chem and bio and apply for standard entry medicine.
Biomed to med transfers are extremely competitive, and very few of those who want to do it succeed each year. Applying to medicine during the second year of another degree means you will not get your medicine degree fully funded, and would have to find some of the fees yourself, plus many med schools will not accept somebody in the middle of a different degree, they insist you finish it, meaning it will take even longer and then you either have to fund your own fees, or apply to GEM, which is again, far more competitive, with much higher entrance test scores needed.

So simplest route is to do chem, bio and any other A level, get A*AA minimum (for most London med schools) and apply to standard entry medicine. If you meet WP criteria, grade requirements may well be lower than this
Original post by GANFYD
I don't know anyting about biomed, I'm afraid, but if you want to do medicine, the easiest, quickest and least competitive route is to sit 3 A levels, including chem and bio and apply for standard entry medicine.
Biomed to med transfers are extremely competitive, and very few of those who want to do it succeed each year. Applying to medicine during the second year of another degree means you will not get your medicine degree fully funded, and would have to find some of the fees yourself, plus many med schools will not accept somebody in the middle of a different degree, they insist you finish it, meaning it will take even longer and then you either have to fund your own fees, or apply to GEM, which is again, far more competitive, with much higher entrance test scores needed.

So simplest route is to do chem, bio and any other A level, get A*AA minimum (for most London med schools) and apply to standard entry medicine. If you meet WP criteria, grade requirements may well be lower than this

Can second this, in the wise words of ecolier, never do a degree with the sole aim of grad entry or transfer to medicine! If you are willing to leave london, you only need AAA :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD

I appreciate your help, but I am hopeless in Maths. Therefore, I cannot do Bio or Chem.
I appreciate your help, but I am hopeless in Maths. Therefore, I cannot do Bio or Chem.

Your third subject can be anything; you don't have to take A-level maths. There isn't much math in biology and the maths in chemistry can become straight forward with practice. The only A-level maths skill needed is logarithms but you can pick it up on youtube if you didn't pick maths, the rest of it is GCSE maths.
Reply 6
I also have another question UFP (University Foundation Programme) in London, which does Medicine Foundation Pathway; this is a one year course. Could I do that and then apply to the Medicine course. Knowing the research I have done, I am fully aware that Kings College accepts Foundation Year to do Medicine.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs - If you look at entry requirements under Foundation courses.

https://ufp.uk.com/course/foundation-programme-medicine/
There are very few unis that will allow you to transfer to medicine from another course, and if they do it's internally within the uni, not to another uni. I'm only aware of Swansea (or Cardiff, I can't remember) and Brighton/Sussex, but there may be others. However, there are very few places and it's just as competitive, it isn't a simple course transfer.

Your best bet, as others have mentioned is to try to go directly for medicine undergrad, rather than do a degree with the intention of going to do medicine afterwards.

If you meet WP criteria your requirements may be lower, but it'll be dependent on the uni. You could also look for medicine with a foundation year, but again there are certain criteria you'll have to meet.

Bio has very little, if any, maths. Chem has some but it's simple maths. Also, these courses are giving you base knowledge which will be built upon at uni, so you'll have to do it at some point.
Reply 8
I also have another question UFP (University Foundation Programme) in London, which does Medicine Foundation Pathway; this is a one year course. Could I do that and then apply to the Medicine course. Knowing the research I have done, I am fully aware that Kings College accepts Foundation Year to do Medicine.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs - If you look at entry requirements under Foundation courses.

But any Foundation Programme will contain A level equivalent chem and bio........??

You do realise that there's still maths content in ufp chem and bio right?
Original post by GANFYD
But any Foundation Programme will contain A level equivalent chem and bio........??

Ok. Then do you know of any sixth forms/ colleges which will allow Maths GCSE 4 and Combined Science 4/5
Ok. Then do you know of any sixth forms/ colleges which will allow Maths GCSE 4 and Combined Science 4/5

No but most medical schools require a 6 in maths and English language

You'll have to look at the colleges which are local to you. But for example, my local college A Level Chemistry requirements are: "At least five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including English Language at grade 5 and Maths at grade 5. GCSE Combined Science at grade 6,6 or above." I don't know how much college entrance requirements differ.

You could look into the Access to Higher Education Diploma (Science) - Medicine and Healthcare Professions Pathway, but not every uni will accept this in lieu of A levels, and some may also require certain GCSE grades as well. So you'll have to look at each individual uni's entry requirements.

You could also retake your GCSEs so you can do A levels, but again you'll have to check each uni separately to see if they accept resits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending