The Student Room Group

Foundation degree Health & Social care to Paramedic Science

Hey everyone,

UCLAN have offered me a place for next year in Foundation degree Health & Social care.

I originally applied for Paramedic Science, but they have offered this instead. How long will it take from starting H&Sc to graduating as a Paramedic and would I be able to do ambulance placements on H&Sc?
Hey,

If after your first year studying at the foundation degree you apply for Paramedic Science again and begin studying the next year it would take a total 4 years (1 year Health & Social Foundation Degree + 3 year BSc Paramedic Degree).

(I do believe some universities, such as Bradford, do a 4 year BSc Paramedic Science degree which includes a sandwich year)

However, if you apply to an NHS trust you would have to go through a 2 year Newly Qualified Paramedic stage (Building a portfolio) before becoming a band-6 paramedic (Which takes the total to 6 years to become a band-6 Paramedic).

As for the placement I'm unsure, but I hope the information i gave above helps a little :biggrin:
- Drew
Original post by Rob.smith7904
Hey everyone,

UCLAN have offered me a place for next year in Foundation degree Health & Social care.

I originally applied for Paramedic Science, but they have offered this instead. How long will it take from starting H&Sc to graduating as a Paramedic and would I be able to do ambulance placements on H&Sc?

did u apply this year? how did you get a response so soon?
Hey everyone,

Hi @Rob.smith7904,

Congratulations on your offer, that's great news!

This is a three-year course that will help you to develop your writing, research and presentational skills needed for degree-level study. Our Health & Social Care (Foundation Entry) course is a great option and stepping stone to other studies too. It also gives you the opportunity for international travel and work experience, including voluntary experiences in countries such as Zambia and Kenya.

For more information, I would recommend looking at the modules in further detail here and you can also ask a student about their experience of the course, general advice, and much more. It's a really helpful feature that I found useful to connect with a current student before you go to University.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions, please let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes
Dan
Original post by vaish20004
did u apply this year? how did you get a response so soon?

Hi @vaish20004,

Please can you confirm if you are a UK or international student and I can provide you with further details on the status of your application?

Many thanks
Dan
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi @vaish20004,

Please can you confirm if you are a UK or international student and I can provide you with further details on the status of your application?

Many thanks
Dan

Hi, I am an international student. Thank you
Thank you for your replies guys!!

So if I was to start Health and Social care In March 2022, would I be able to start Paramedic Science in September? How does it work?
Thank you for your replies guys!!

So if I was to start Health and Social care In March 2022, would I be able to start Paramedic Science in September? How does it work?

Health and social care degree is 3yrs - so no.

Personally, I would look at doing other routes to become a paramedic such as applying to an ambulance trust as a technician/ECSW/AAP and working your way up, or applying to paramedic science next year.

The reason they offered you to do this degree instead is because they can't fill it up and want your money. I had a brief look at the information for the course and to be honest, if being a paramedic is your goal, then this degree would be a waste of money.
Even if I just done the entry year??
Even if I just done the entry year??

Thats 9k spent on something where you aren't guarenteed a place doing paramedic science.
Right..... not answered my question though
Right..... not answered my question though

No.

You would be 6 months in, you would finish in March 2023 so you would be able to start in Sept 2023.

Quick Reply

Latest