uni choices with my a levels

Watch this thread
elscha_bandito
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I started year 12 this year and I’m doing physics, english lit, art and history but i think i’m going to drop history. Any ideas of what I could do at uni with these A levels?
thanks
username5767365
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
You can go into law? Law doesn’t require certain alevels but I think u need at least one essay based subject. You also have a facilitating subject which will help you
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
How to Choose 6th Form subjects : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
Good Careers website with lots of career roles explained/degrees required etc : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
skylark2
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Anything which doesn't have specific requirements.
Anything whose only requirement is "an essay subject".
Anything whose only requirement is "a science subject".
Anything whose only requirement is Art.

You should be aware that most science degrees will need more than just "a science subject". In particular, you'll really struggle to find a physics course which doesn't also require maths.

A general list of facilitating subjects hasn't existed since 2019, though obviously some subjects are required or recommended for more courses than others. Physics and Eng Lit would both be on the required/recommended lists for a lot of courses, but there probably aren't any subjects that they are both on the list for. Art will be on the list for very few courses which aren't heavily art-based.

Basically the answer is that there will be hundreds of courses you can apply for, and also a large number that you can't. If you are worried that you might have ruled yourself out of something specific, check NOW instead of sticking your head in the sand and hoping that you will be so special that they'll ignore the requirements just for you - they won't.
McGinger
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Physics is fairly useless on its own - most Physics related degree course will want another science or Maths as well.
By dropping History you are leaving yourself with an odd selection - English, Art .... and Physics.

English Lit, Art and History - lots of choices, just have a look down this list of degrees from Sussex to give yourself some ideas : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by elscha_bandito)
I started year 12 this year and I’m doing physics, english lit, art and history but i think i’m going to drop history. Any ideas of what I could do at uni with these A levels?
thanks
Put your subjects in here. This will tell you what you can take. Without Maths you will find things like Engineering difficult to get into.

https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads