The Student Room Group

Dentistry in Europe

I'm contemplating whether to go to Europe to study Dentistry or not. The main issue is about the job prospects once I graduate if I chose this path. Are there any countries you would recommend I could study to have a much better chance of getting opportunities to work as a dentist?
The advice generally is, study where you want to work.

Every country has their own regulations and entrance exams so if you want to work as a dentist in a different country to where you studied, you’ll likely face obstacles such as immigration visas, but more importantly, having to sit difficult exams to be eligible to work in said country.
I’m thinking the same thing as well, but the problem is I don’t speak any other European languages apart from English....thinking of applying to Australia/Singapore now but it looks hard
Original post by lostapplicant
I’m thinking the same thing as well, but the problem is I don’t speak any other European languages apart from English....thinking of applying to Australia/Singapore now but it looks hard

Australia and Sweden are on my list but there really aren't many resources to help you. I had Italy or Czech Republic on my mind but going back to the point made by @Mesopotamian. I can't see myself living there and plus it's kind of necessary to learn the language to communicate with the patients.
Original post by Anna augustine
Australia and Sweden are on my list but there really aren't many resources to help you. I had Italy or Czech Republic on my mind but going back to the point made by @Mesopotamian. I can't see myself living there and plus it's kind of necessary to learn the language to communicate with the patients.

Ikr... it’s hard. I had the states on my list as I have completed a science degree, but it looks like u have to do quite a few prerequisite courses for applying for dentistry, plus the DAT test etc...dentistry really is hard to get into everywhere in the world
Original post by Mesopotamian.
The advice generally is, study where you want to work.

Every country has their own regulations and entrance exams so if you want to work as a dentist in a different country to where you studied, you’ll likely face obstacles such as immigration visas, but more importantly, having to sit difficult exams to be eligible to work in said country.

May I ask, would your advice be if someone choose to study dentistry abroad to work for a couple of years in the country they've studied in first before moving back to the UK and attempting the ORE exam? It would alleviate the problem of trying to compete with UK graduates for DFT spots.

Of course that would mean having to learn a new language, but hey if people are desperate enough to become dentists these are the extra hoops they must be willing to overcome I guess.
Original post by Sharpshooter
May I ask, would your advice be if someone choose to study dentistry abroad to work for a couple of years in the country they've studied in first before moving back to the UK and attempting the ORE exam? It would alleviate the problem of trying to compete with UK graduates for DFT spots.

Of course that would mean having to learn a new language, but hey if people are desperate enough to become dentists these are the extra hoops they must be willing to overcome I guess.

The advice would be the same I guess: you need to be aware of the ORE exam and it’s pass rate. If you wanted to work within the NHS, you’d still face the same obstacles as if you’d come straight out of an overseas dental school. DFT isn’t the only route for international graduates, it’s only one of the routes, but all routes are competitive.
Reply 7
Original post by Mesopotamian…
The advice would be the same I guess: you need to be aware of the ORE exam and it’s pass rate. If you wanted to work within the NHS, you’d still face the same obstacles as if you’d come straight out of an overseas dental school. DFT isn’t the only route for international graduates, it’s only one of the routes, but all routes are competitive.

is there any benefit of studying dentistry in Europe if British students with EU qualifications still have to sit the ORE exam? Would studying in a non EU country like Turkey or Dubai be the same?

Quick Reply

Latest