The Student Room Group

GCSE Choices - Need some advice please

Hello,
I'm in Y9 and started thinking about my GCSE choices. I am just starting out here on TSR, so please be kind :smile:

My first question is - Will my GCSE choices have an impact on uni later on? I want to study maths, computer science or design at uni. That might change later because I like sciences too. At GCSE, I'm doin maths and science anyway, but if I don't do computer science, will it count against me when I apply to uni?

I love Art, Music and Drama. For various reasons, I am only allowed to choose only one of those. I am thinkin of chosing the one that is more likely to give me a 9 with a reasonable effort. At this point, I am not doing too well in Maths and English - looks like I need to spend a lotof time on these long term to get to where I want. Chemistry - I am kind of ok as of now, but I am beginning to feel this to will also demand a lot of time in future. Like I'm not exactly finding it easy. So I want to chose other subjects that wont be too demanding.

Art: I am very good at art and I really enjoy it. I have done a lot of training and practice in many areas and also had my work exhibited at a couple of shows. I did some commission work for charity too. I understand exam is different thing altogether. I don't know! Some people at school have been saying GCSE Art extremely time consuming? Is that true?

Music: I just finished Grade 7 (ABRSM) in Violin. I also did my grade 5 theory. Do I need to know how to play the piano to get a 8/9 in music? If yes, is it a good idea to start now or is it already too late?

Drama: I am really really interested, but I did not do any after school classes in proper drama so far. No experience on stage too. Is it a good idea to still choose drama? I am doing grade 8 LAMDA in public speaking - is that relevant ?

What would you chose if you were me? Art or music or drama?

Thanks for reading!
Hii!
I've been in the same boat as you (im currently in year 12) and at GCSE I (eventually) chose art, french and drama as my subjects (along with the normal compulsory subjects)

Also can I just say I have massive respect for you as a violin player, that is HARD and one of the coolest instruments I wish I could play it, I play tenor horn :smile:

First I want to start out saying the most important thing is that you choose something you enjoy. This means that you will go far in that subject, as most sixth form and universities mainly focus on the result rather than the specific GCSE (for example, a 9 in music is still a 9, same with sciences).
Also even if you want to do science in later life, you do not need the triple science gcse. I'm doing biology a level at the moment (even though I wish I picked art or drama sometimes haha) and it has not set me back in any way.
However, with computer science, it's a little more niche and I think it depends on the sixth form you would like to go to in whether you need the gcse to do it at a level. If you do not wish to do it at a level (which I have assumed is your future choice of education :smile:) you can still do it at uni with a levels like maths, etc.

It's a lot of pressure picking a gcse when it could ultimately affect what degree you pick! I struggled with this, but I can tell you now there are always opportunities for extra-curricular activities to keep pursuing the things you love, like you can play in an orchestra without doing gcse music because of your impressive grade 7, or keeping hobbies if you don't know what to pursue it in the future.

On the topic of music, no you do not need to be able to play the keyboard, contrary to if you play it in lessons haha. You do compositions and performances on the chosen instrument of your choice, whether its the voice, drums, etc. Pick music if it really interests you and if you think you will do well! (which I'm sure you will, you sound very intelligent) and I think it is also an enjoyable gcse (from the perspective of my friends)
P.S I play in a band and practise outside of school, and I still feel I have a nice balance of music without doing the gcse (although I was sometimes jealous that I didn't pick it!!)

For art - I picked it and the biggest and most challenging part of art is that everyone around you will say "it's so much work!" "It's too time-consuming!" etc. It's really not the case. Yes, it may be a lot of work but only because art pieces, as you probably already know, take lots of time and effort, more than most subjects. If you're comfortable with having to constantly juggle art work and homework then you'll be great! I work slowly, but I still managed to get everything around the deadline. Everyone is in the same boat and as long as you mainly keep up with the work being set, you'll be more than fine. I got a 9, and in year 10 I had a different teacher who taught us a completely different component. I didn't finish all of my work, nor did I complete everything on time and to an amazing standard of perfection. But it's definitely a useful GCSE to have, especially if you wish to do something with it in the future.

And drama, I have to say, was so much fun. I was very shy but drama really helped me, also having a BTEC (it was a btec instead of the drama gcse) was really refreshing as I had coursework instead of tons of exams (2 exam based subjects and 1 BTEC was the perfect mix in my case). However even if you don't pick it at gcse, there are still plenty of outside-school opportunities like if your school does a show or clubs to go to if you decide you don't need the qualification. Don't let confidence or no 'stage' experience weigh you down, your drama teacher will help you with anything you need.

Finally, I hope that my experiences can give you some idea of what gcses are like, but mainly your choices have to be something you enjoy! Do not worry too much about gcse's yet however, I'm sure that the more time that passes for your english and maths worries the more confident you will feel as you learn more.
Good luck and hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you Georgia :smile:

If I can pick what I enjoy, I'd pick both Art and Music. I loveeee Art. I can do it all day ! After course work, do you also have to ART GCSE paper exams?

How did you cope with coursework demands of Art+drama and still have time to revise compulsory subjects? Was it kind of ok or did you really feel the pressure? Do you have any tips for me for Art GCSE please? Thanks again !
Original post by Robin8
Thank you Georgia :smile:

If I can pick what I enjoy, I'd pick both Art and Music. I loveeee Art. I can do it all day ! After course work, do you also have to ART GCSE paper exams?

How did you cope with coursework demands of Art+drama and still have time to revise compulsory subjects? Was it kind of ok or did you really feel the pressure? Do you have any tips for me for Art GCSE please? Thanks again !

I really think you should pick art - you seem like you’re very good and confident at it and it’s a great course!
No, there are no paper exams for art, just coursework and one 12 hour exam (I think, depends on the exam board). I know what you’re thinking “WHAT THE HECK!!”
But actually, the ‘exam’ is fine! And probably the easiest bit. You will have already prepared exactly what you’re going to do, you have a plan and basically you just do it. And it’s 3 hours per day I think that you complete a piece in, and it’s worth some of your grade, so it’s a good opportunity to pick up marks to add to your coursework.

With music, since you’re already at a grade 7 if you wanted to do music at a level you need a 5 or above in a grade or the gcse, and you’re past that, so you don’t necessarily NEED to pick it unless you really want to but by the sounds of it you have lots of other things you would also like to do! So in my opinion I would free up that space and keep music as a hobby, do you play in an orchestra or wind band?

My GCSE’s were a shambles, sort of cancelled by covid but not entirely off predicted grades.
But the thing I found most stressful was actually combined science. With this, and you don’t need to do much, you need to prepare earlier than most subjects just because there is more content. Don’t worry! you’ll be fine, however for me I needed to have made notes and Flashcards earlier so that when I was in year 11 I could have reviewed the flashcards and past paper questions and learned from them.

If you want tips on how to do well and how to revise ask me!!
I’ll also post some tips for GCSE art later (it’s past my bedtime sorry!!)

Honestly you will be fine, this is why I say choose things you enjoy because you do better in them, even if you are good or not at them.
And even just by thinking about your future and how you should revise and more you’re doing more than most and pushing yourself! You got this

Quick Reply

Latest