Weightlifting fasted

Watch
LaraMari16
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I just wanted to get peoples opinions on fasted weightlifting? What are the potential pros and cons generally and in terms of muscle building? Is it more or less beneficial?
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
You're better off lifting after having eaten something an hour or two before lifting. This is because the nutrients from this food will take time to digest, and be available to immediately begin recovery from your training. Also, having amino acids already in your blood stream will inhibit your body from catabolising muscle too much if you're having a long training session. I say eat an hour or two before, because some people may feel a bit sick trying to exercise on a full stomach and detract from performance in the gym.

Despite that, I have on occasion trained both immediately after eating, and on an empty stomach, and I didn't notice any impact on performance. Not that it's optimal for muscle gain, but sometimes life means you're short of time and can't do everything optimally, and it's better than doing nothing. In the case of training on an empty stomach, that's where it's important to eat something immediately afterwards.

As for benefits of training fasted, there aren't really any. You can find some studies saying it increases metabolism of body fat in that moment, which is true for endurance based exercise, but only total calories in vs out over the course of the day, week, or year affect total body fat gain/loss anyway, so it really doesn't matter even for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.35%
Okay (40)
28.78%
A bit lacking (49)
35.25%
Not good at all (37)
26.62%

Watched Threads