The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth University

I was thinking of transferring to Plymouth Uni for my second year. What's the uni like? How is the campus, nightlife, city etc?
I did not go to Plymouth Uni but lived in Plymouth as a professional after uni and all can I say is that I was eager to leave as quick as possible. I found the city to be dirty and unwelcoming. It is all however, very dependant on where you currently are and will be moving from. I moved from Edinburgh to Plymouth so I found it to be a big change on a negative side. I did not find that there were many nice places to eat, mainly just chain restaurants, and not many events being planned - but this may be different as you will be part of the uni. At the end of the day, it is what you will make it. Goodluck
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Original post by aldiscotcheggs
I was thinking of transferring to Plymouth Uni for my second year. What's the uni like? How is the campus, nightlife, city etc?

Hey there aldiscotcheggs,

I think Plymouth's a great city which is why I decided to stay down here after finishing uni all those years ago:smartass:. What uni are you currently studying at?

For me it had everything I wanted. The campus is in the middle of the city and all the accommodation is really close which means you can roll out of bed 5 minutes before a lecture - it really is the best of both worlds and actually quite a rarity for unis in the UK!.

Being in the city means you can finish your lecture and stroll (yes, stroll! you don't need to get a bus everywhere) for 5 minutes into town to get lunch at one of the many cafes or restaurants (there are both big chains for restaurants like Nandos and Brewdog or Costa & Starbucks for coffee - as well as an ever growing range of independent venues). And then in another 5 minutes you can continue to stroll to Plymouth Sound and be right next to the sea - it really is as incredible as it sounds but as heather12345678 mentioned "it is what you will make it".

If you're into the outdoors we're nestled between the hills of Dartmoor and some of the country's best beaches so there is something for everyone!

In terms of nightlife there's a range of things to suit all tastes - if you like "big" clubs we have a Pryzm (formerly Oceana) and a range of venues on the famous Union Street, as well as a variety of smaller bars and clubs dotted around the city we also have North Hill which is the main road right next to the Uni and has loads of different bars and a 24 hour Spar etc. In my opinion it's also a really safe city compared to a lot of others and I've never felt in danger here even when walking alone at night.

In terms of events there's plenty going on here - we host the annual British Fireworks Championship, have amazing lightshows like Illuminate, MTV Crashes as well as all the famous bands that play in the football stadium or Plymouth Pavilions; the UPSU puts on regular events too. We're also home to the Theatre Royal, The Box museum and the University itself puts on an amazing range of events which can be enjoyed by all (I recently saw a Beethoven performance in the old Sherwell Church which was fantastic).

You can find out some more information about Plymouth here: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/about-us/visit

And take a virtual tour here: https://virtual.plymouth.ac.uk/#s=pano526

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Luke - University of Plymouth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending