Aca2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How did everyone find case study today?

I found calculations okay but requirement 1 tricky due to them not providing much information to work off in terms of revenue, it was all about the revenue bridge. I got a very high ROI at 160% and I got an operating loss for option 2 under POM but a profit for just the SEO stuff. Unsure about the KPI issues also
FgaP0192837465
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah R1 was strange with limited narrative explaining the what had happened in the year. Never seen ethics in R1 before either. I also got a really high ROI and think it was probably about 160% too. Rings a bell anyway.R3 was a complete blur - didn’t realise it was 2 options that were evaluating and there was a KPI issue?
Aca2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FgaP0192837465)
Yeah R1 was strange with limited narrative explaining the what had happened in the year. Never seen ethics in R1 before either. I also got a really high ROI and think it was probably about 160% too. Rings a bell anyway.R3 was a complete blur - didn’t realise it was 2 options that were evaluating and there was a KPI issue?
Oh sorry I meant kpi issue in requirement 1 to do with ethics and sales targets. For requirement 3 I thought that POM proposed to do the SEO and website and separately could also add on the paid ads etc, maybe I’m mistaken…
acastudent2020
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I got a yearly profit of 29400 I think.. when I just did the SEO stuff and like -831when I included everything..
A Rose for Epona
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
R1 was fine for me, I did the usual financial analysis with revenue mix etc. and also did a Gateway 4 calculation for NDF (not sure if it was necessary tbf…). In hindsight I wrote way too much in this section and my time would have been better spent on R3.

I got 160% ROI on R2 so I advised the client to be sceptical of the numbers as they seemed to apply the same assumptions as NDF, so I said don’t accept the proposal without doing further due diligence on these numbers. I showed a stress test on sales volume as well to support my advice.

I completely messed up my timing and had to do R3 in a rush. I completely ignored the optional bit in my calculations so hoping that I won’t fail on that basis. There was a profit of £29k but similar to R2 I advised them to take the figures with a grain of salt. I still wrote a bit about Charlie’s affiliation with POM and the ethical issues with it, the prospect of fake bad reviews, as well as the potential damage to the relationship with Taylors.
Last edited by A Rose for Epona; 4 weeks ago
PC199656
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hard to remember but i recall doing calculations for R2 individually for all 3 forms of traffic as they said the paid and affiliate would be optional, I got an initial small loss from just the organic traffic and mentioned it was likely to improve due to the initial outlay to POM dragged the figures down in Y1. I recommended proceeding based on the ROI goal of 25% being exceeded and the growing pet market as a whole (1/4 households have a cat etc).

For the paid and affiliate i got a profit for one and loss for the other but again was so rushed for it

For Q3: Forgot to mention Charlie affiliation which I'm annoyed with but mentioned impact to current clients, risk of increased bad online reviews, that DGS needs a new route to market due to rising discounts being demanded, DGS staff having no experience selling DTC and that there may be inventory storage issues with DTC etc. Conclusion included that DGS should consult with existing clients before proceeding.

To be honest, slightly concerned I may fail exec summary, what did you guys do for yours? I just copied and pasted conclusion from each section which included a sentence or two from each part of the requirement and recommendations and just took some recommendations out and added a tinyyyy bit to some of the conclusions as i had such little time
DDD14
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
What ethical issues did you discuss in req 3? I only found the following :- Charlie's affiliation with POM- Price-based competition with current clients if DTC-fake reviews and unubstantiated health claims- fake traffic - bots being used as seen in international traffic and bounce rate
PC199656
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DDD14)
What ethical issues did you discuss in req 3? I only found the following :- Charlie's affiliation with POM- Price-based competition with current clients if DTC-fake reviews and unubstantiated health claims- fake traffic - bots being used as seen in international traffic and bounce rate
Mentioned international traffic, fake reviews, increased scrutiny received online (twitter exhibit), potential fines and legal action relating to data held online, may cause damage to current relationships with non DTC clients, potential issues with POM managing social media publicity etc with regard to maybe making incorrect claims. Hoping the fact i didn't mention Charlie doesn't ruin me too much
DDD14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DDD14)
What ethical issues did you discuss in req 3? I only found the following :- Charlie's affiliation with POM- Price-based competition with current clients if DTC-fake reviews and unubstantiated health claims- fake traffic - bots being used as seen in international traffic and balsounce rate
(Original post by PC199656)
Hard to remember but i recall doing calculations for R2 individually for all 3 forms of traffic as they said the paid and affiliate would be optional, I got an initial small loss from just the organic traffic and mentioned it was likely to improve due to the initial outlay to POM dragged the figures down in Y1. I recommended proceeding based on the ROI goal of 25% being exceeded and the growing pet market as a whole (1/4 households have a cat etc).

For the paid and affiliate i got a profit for one and loss for the other but again was so rushed for it

For Q3: Forgot to mention Charlie affiliation which I'm annoyed with but mentioned impact to current clients, risk of increased bad online reviews, that DGS needs a new route to market due to rising discounts being demanded, DGS staff having no experience selling DTC and that there may be inventory storage issues with DTC etc. Conclusion included that DGS should consult with existing clients before proceeding.

To be honest, slightly concerned I may fail exec summary, what did you guys do for yours? I just copied and pasted conclusion from each section which included a sentence or two from each part of the requirement and recommendations and just took some recommendations out and added a tinyyyy bit to some of the conclusions as i had such little time
I am also worried about my executive summaries, they resemble my conclusions a lot other than a para in addition that here and there
PC199656
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DDD14)
I am also worried about my executive summaries, they resemble my conclusions a lot other than a para in addition that here and there
Mine is a copy and paste of my conclusion and recommendations with a few of the recommendations removed and literally a couple weird extra points for R2 and R3... what did you do? I feel like that could still be enough based on the mark schemes normally
Bumblingbee123
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
I completely messed up calc for r3 and somehow got£79k on just organic search. Was CTR 5.5% and value at £45? Done it for full year, now looking back, were we meant to pro rata?
PC199656
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bumblingbee123)
I completely messed up calc for r3 and somehow got£79k on just organic search. Was CTR 5.5% and value at £45? Done it for full year, now looking back, were we meant to pro rata?
Yea from what i remember i did traffic times CTR then multiplied by 45 for revenue. Then did revenue times the GPM (26%) which was given for gross profit. Then i did this times 12 months for annual gross profit, then I did 10% of annual revenue for distribution costs and took that away as well as 12* the monthly retainer and the initial 100something thousand for POM starting to get net profit for organic, at this point i cant even remember what i got

For the other 2 I did the same in terms of revenue for 12 months and then GPM but then did the 3% of 12 month revenue for affiliate and whatever the other thing was for paid adds. Regardless, It was super messy and i 100% went wrong somewhere be it in how i showed my workings or the working itself which is annoying. I had to change my working for R2 and R3 so it ate into my time and my R3 narrative ended up being slightly messy and rushed
IcaewStudent7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi allI ran out of time towards the end - my R3 executive summary was rushed and basically a copy and paste of my conclusion with maybe 2 sentences added - I hope that don't go against me!R1 was tricky as not much info R2 was also different given they used predictions and asked for suitability of ROI - I put some stuff down but didn't have a clue!
PC199656
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IcaewStudent7)
Hi allI ran out of time towards the end - my R3 executive summary was rushed and basically a copy and paste of my conclusion with maybe 2 sentences added - I hope that don't go against me!R1 was tricky as not much info R2 was also different given they used predictions and asked for suitability of ROI - I put some stuff down but didn't have a clue!
Yea what did you put for suitability of ROI?
IcaewStudent7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yea what did you put for suitability of ROI?
Only considers costs up to GP,but could be other costs such as admin associated with the proposal

Also only takes 2 yrs into account but DGS lifecycle products usually 5 yrs
PC199656
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Only considers costs up to GP,but could be other costs such as admin associated with the proposal

Also only takes 2 yrs into account but DGS lifecycle products usually 5 yrs
Yea I think I said only takes 2 years into consideration and doesn't take cashflow into consideration. Also that it doesn't take into account non financial indicators such as future growth, brand development etc
IcaewStudent7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yea I think I said only takes 2 years into consideration and doesn't take cashflow into consideration. Also that it doesn't take into account non financial indicators such as future growth, brand development etc
I just hope I did enough to pass overall! Especially ES is my biggest worry I think
PC199656
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I just hope I did enough to pass overall! Especially ES is my biggest worry I think
So did you basically just copy and paste conclusion and recommendations for ES? That's what I did with literally 1 sentence added. At least using this method you always get the appropriate length diamond as it won't be too long, from there I guess it just depends what you included in your conclusions
IcaewStudent7
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
So did you basically just copy and paste conclusion and recommendations for ES? That's what I did with literally 1 sentence added. At least using this method you always get the appropriate length diamond as it won't be too long, from there I guess it just depends what you included in your conclusions
For R1 and R2 I copied and pasted, then reworded some bits and added a sentence or two

For R3 was literally copy and paste with a sentence added

Like you say as long as conclusion is decent, it usually picks up most diamonds on ES as well so here's hoping!
DDD14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Guys, for r1 rev, did you go as far as calculating the rev brigde for every channel? I commented on the discounts, change in AV spend and number of clients and said whether it was volume driven, price driven or both but only did rev brigde calcs for the totals... Is this not going to be enough?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (33)
9.79%
Okay (99)
29.38%
A bit lacking (122)
36.2%
Not good at all (83)
24.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed