The Student Room Group

Applying to a course that’s lower than my grades

Looking to apply for a course at surrey, my grades are ABB but surrey are only asking for BBC. It’s quite close to home and close to my boyfriend which would be nice because we’re long distance at the moment and I’d love to be able to see him more often. Obviously that’s not the only reason I’d choose it, it’s got a really good life sciences department and it’s apparently great for employment. I’m just not sure if it’s “wasted potential” if you know what I mean? Like I have the potential to go to a more “prestigious” uni like warwick or QMUL if I did apply, I’m just drawn to surrey. Also if the course is BBC would that mean it’d be easier than unis that ask for higher grades? I like a challenge and would get bored if it was too easy. I hope I don’t sound snobby or anything, I just want to hear some opinions.
Hi, What's the course and are you 17/18 or a mature student?
Original post by lcmari12
Looking to apply for a course at surrey, my grades are ABB but surrey are only asking for BBC. It’s quite close to home and close to my boyfriend which would be nice because we’re long distance at the moment and I’d love to be able to see him more often. Obviously that’s not the only reason I’d choose it, it’s got a really good life sciences department and it’s apparently great for employment. I’m just not sure if it’s “wasted potential” if you know what I mean? Like I have the potential to go to a more “prestigious” uni like warwick or QMUL if I did apply, I’m just drawn to surrey. Also if the course is BBC would that mean it’d be easier than unis that ask for higher grades? I like a challenge and would get bored if it was too easy. I hope I don’t sound snobby or anything, I just want to hear some opinions.

I would also apply to places that have higher grade requirements. At the end of the day, you are aiming to learn at the best place possible and get the best degree you can, which will help you to get a job (and also studying just for the academic interest). Things like distance from home and a boyfriend are probably less important than academic reputation. I wouldn't make such an important decision on just those factors. Maybe put it as your 5th choice, and see where you get in. Then go to open days, and if you still feel like Surrey is the place for you, then go for it! Just don't limit yourself before you know all your options. You may get an offer from a great uni and end up wanting to go there.
Reply 3
Original post by Fruity Girl
Hi, What's the course and are you 17/18 or a mature student?

The course is biochemistry, and I’m 18 taking a gap year :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by booklover1313
I would also apply to places that have higher grade requirements. At the end of the day, you are aiming to learn at the best place possible and get the best degree you can, which will help you to get a job (and also studying just for the academic interest). Things like distance from home and a boyfriend are probably less important than academic reputation. I wouldn't make such an important decision on just those factors. Maybe put it as your 5th choice, and see where you get in. Then go to open days, and if you still feel like Surrey is the place for you, then go for it! Just don't limit yourself before you know all your options. You may get an offer from a great uni and end up wanting to go there.

The other uni I like is Southampton, which is one grade above my grades and would be my first choice, I just don’t want to get my hopes up too much because there’s a chance they might reject me (I’m gonna be ambitious and take the risk anyway).

Maybe it’s different for different people but distance from home is quite important to me, ideally I don’t want to be any more than 2 hours away because I hate being too far away from my family. But I’ll definitely look into some other good unis, thank you for the advice :smile:
The other uni I like is Southampton, which is one grade above my grades and would be my first choice, I just don’t want to get my hopes up too much because there’s a chance they might reject me (I’m gonna be ambitious and take the risk anyway).

Maybe it’s different for different people but distance from home is quite important to me, ideally I don’t want to be any more than 2 hours away because I hate being too far away from my family. But I’ll definitely look into some other good unis, thank you for the advice :smile:

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you will end up at a uni where you will be very happy :smile: If distance from home is important to you, then you should rank the unis based on what you value and are looking for, so Surrey is probably a good fit

Good unis do not necessarily require higher grades - look at the courses and pick one that's interesting. I have A*A*A* students applying to BBB universites because the courses are accredited and have good employment prospects.
The course is biochemistry, and I’m 18 taking a gap year :smile:

So it’s a great degree course and is the boyfriend doing his degree at a uni ?

If you want to be within 2 hrs of home that’s fine. I’d not choose a degree based on a boyfriend. Why? If it’s meant to be it will last no matter how far away you are. Have friends who have been together since year 11 - went to different unis - been married for twenty years. Have friends who chose a uni either because boyfriend already studying there or in same town as boyfriend compromised on degree and unhappy. Choose unis with courses you like around 2hrs or less from home ( as you mentioned thus as a preference) . Ring Southampton and chat to admissions re your grades and the course I imagine as you already have your grades they may be keen to have you? Check with them. Would you be eligible for a contextual offer due to home postcode or college you went to? Add three more unis between Southampton and your Surrey choice - if you have grades ringing/emailing then departments to get a feel for whether they would accept you is ok.
Reply 9

No, he’s a few years older and just completed his apprenticeship. Surrey is both close to him and fairly close to me too
No, he’s a few years older and just completed his apprenticeship. Surrey is both close to him and fairly close to me too

Surrey sounds like it would be a good Insurance choice and your Firm choice could be a bit more aspirational like Southampton. But I wouldn't bother applying somewhere that doesn't suit you in terms of location or anything else just because it is "prestigious". It's very important to be happy at uni and Southhampton & Surrey are already good unis.
I’d not choose a uni entirely for its proximity to boyfriend but I would make sure transport links are reasonably straightforward so that you can get back for the weekend either to where he lives and home. Some places further away have better transport than ones on a map that look closer so check out train services. Southampton and Portsmouth seem much cheaper rail routes into London than essex or north of London locations. Remember student railcard (often free with student bank accounts makes things cheaper) when you are studying in the week it’s important not to be massively distracted by someone who doesn’t need to study and has evenings free so your boyfriend to be at a distance that’s not 20 mins down the road - Uni is about the social side and making new friends so give yourself time to do this as these friends can be great ones to have your whole life! Choose give unis where 1) you love the course - check out modules etc 2) you love the place 3) it’s easy to get home as you says that’s important 4) you can get over to see boyfriend for a weekend or he can come and visit. Many halls accommodation will allow a guest 1 night per week. Just remember to ask yourself if my boyfriend and I weren’t together would this uni still be a top five choice? If this relationship is going to last compromise will work both ways. Sometimes he may need to move his job and location for you if your job post graduation needs to be in a certain place for a certain company. Really good luck Southampton is a great uni so you already seem to have two just three more to go - Biochemistry is a great degree - consider the degree with the placement year they are great x
Grade requirements are not indicative of 'quality' and Surrey is a perfectly good Uni with a solid reputaion.

My only caution would be choosing a Uni because of current bf. Just think caefully about this. How will you feel about being there if the relationship ends. Is he worried about you being away at another Uni and 'finding someone else'. Once you graduate is he expecting you to stick around in small town or will you be 'allowed' to develop your career by going somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending