Criminology and Forensic Psychology at Leicester University

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Looking to study this in 2022, Is this a good course to study, is the teaching good?, how much of it is now online? is it going to remain that way? Furthermore what is Leicester as a city like, is there much to do?

Any information would be helpful, thanks
University of Leicester
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Hi there,

It is great to hear that you are interested in studying at the University of Leicester. Our BSc Criminology with Forensic Psychology offers an exciting opportunity to study fundamental criminological theory and concepts, and allows you to gain a detailed understanding of the role of forensic psychology in both research and practice.

In first year, you will get the opportunity to study an Introduction to Forensic Psychology, alongside three other core modules, which focus on theories of crime, criminal justice, and victims of crime. The first year of the degree in a nutshell gives you the foundational knowledge and academic skills that you need to progress into the second and final years.

In the second year, you can explore the use of forensic psychology in investigative and legal criminal justice settings, alongside modules in Punishment and Rehabilitation as well as research methods.

In the third year, you can study Using Psychology in Secure Settings and The Criminal Justice System and Mental Disorder, alongside modules that prepare you for the completion of your Student Research Project. In your final year, you will also have the opportunity to tailor your degree with a range of option modules

Leicester ranks #2 in the UK for teaching Criminology (The Guardian University Guide 2021). We are one of very few Schools in the country exclusively dedicated to teaching and researching criminology, and we are home to some of the UK’s leading criminologists. As such, you will benefit from a pure, focused and definitive education in the study of crime. Our strong performance in the National Student Survey since it began in 2005 reflects the popularity of the course among our students, as well as the dedication of the academic staff.

Teaching is now face-to-face on campus and the modules you take are taught using a combination of lectures and workshops, as well as self-directed independent study. Unless there are any further restrictions related to COVID-19, teaching should remain face-to-face.

Campus is around a 10-15 walk to the City Centre, or about 5 minutes on the bus (Routes 47 and 48) or cycling. The Railway Station is on the same side of the city as the Campus on London Road.

At the heart of Leicester city centre lies the famous Clock Tower. Leading away from the Clock Tower you will find the High Street, Humberstone Gate and Gallowtree Gate, which among them have an array of big name stores – from New Look and H&M to Marks & Spencer, Boots and Primark. There is a large shopping centre called Highcross which has several retail, hospitality and entertainment venues. There are 3 cinemas and the Curve Theatre as well as the King Richard III Visitor Centre. Within the heart of the City Centre is the Lanes, which are a set of narrow-cobbled streets with independent shops and cafes - PAI, a pizza restaurant, is a personal favourite location for lunch!

I hope this helps answer your queries, but feel free to follow with any questions if your not sure about anything

All the best,
Ross
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (2)
8%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20%

Watched Threads