E44445
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi I'm currently deciding what alevels to do, i'm torn between becoming an architect or lawyer. My options are Art, Physics, Maths, Politics, English, History and History of Art. My GCSE predictions for art, history, english and physics are 8s and maths a 7. What combination of three and an epq should I pick?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
You need to look at the entry requirements for Architecture at a range of different Unis and see which A level subjects are essential or preferred.
For Law there are no required subjects but you will need high grades, so pick three subejcts you enjoy and where you feel confident of high grades.
normaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Architecture is essentially a general art degree and for the vast majority of universities you will be required to submit a portfolio of your work as part of the application process. If you don't choose art as an A level, you would need to pull the portfolio together in your own time. Maths and/or physics are preferred/required by only a couple of unis (Bath and some Cambridge colleges).
Han031821
Badges: 5
Report 7 months ago
I was talking to an architect the other day who said ideal subjects are art, an essay subject such as History or English (Also they’re quite applicable to law so leaves your options open) and then maths (which you don’t acc need unless you’re applying to bath).You could do an epq on something that drawing both arch and law so like how planning/building code laws have shaped uk architecture
Last edited by Dringohan; 7 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Dringohan)
I was talking to an architect the other day who said
With respect, this person does not work in University admissions, and this sort of 'advice' should always be double-checked with the Universities you are applying to.
SebastianMesser
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by E44445)
Hi I'm currently deciding what alevels to do, i'm torn between becoming an architect or lawyer. My options are Art, Physics, Maths, Politics, English, History and History of Art. My GCSE predictions for art, history, english and physics are 8s and maths a 7. What combination of three and an epq should I pick?
E44445, McGinger and normaw are correct - both law and architecture are competitive and will require you to get the best results you can, which will most likely be in the subjects you most enjoy. Architecture will also require a portfolio, which can be done on your own, but is certainly going to be easier if you are studying art A’level or do an Arts Foundation after A’levels. Dringohan is not too far off, in that architecture is the generalist profession, so if you have a well-rounded education that will certainly be a benefit. However, maths and/or physics are only preferred not required by Bath (and there are 50 schools of architecture in the UK to choose between!).
Last edited by SebastianMesser; 7 months ago
SebastianMesser
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Also,

You could do an epq on something that drawing both arch and law so like how planning/building code laws have shaped uk architecture

Sounds like the most self-loathing aversion therapy! If you do want to look at the intersection of law and architecture, start from spatialagency.net and then https://forensic-architecture.org and https://darkmatterlabs.org
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (27)
27.55%
As I expected (29)
29.59%
Harder (35)
35.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
7.14%

Watched Threads