The Student Room Group

Intercalation and Part-Time Work

Hi guys! I'm a current 4th year looking into Intercalation next academic year.

I was wondering if any of you knew anything about the contact hours required for intercalated masters degrees? In the financial situation I'm in, I would likely need to work part-time to keep myself going through Intercalation, however my concern is that I'd be too busy with my course and studying to balance both. I'm currently considering an MSc in Public Health or something similar for context, rather than a MRes, meaning more time is dedicated to lectures than the research aspect.

Basically, I'd like to know from people who did an intercalated masters how much time they had "free", or if anyone was able to get a part time job and how feasible it was with the requirements of the course.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Original post by Winterne
Hi guys! I'm a current 4th year looking into Intercalation next academic year.

I was wondering if any of you knew anything about the contact hours required for intercalated masters degrees? In the financial situation I'm in, I would likely need to work part-time to keep myself going through Intercalation, however my concern is that I'd be too busy with my course and studying to balance both. I'm currently considering an MSc in Public Health or something similar for context, rather than a MRes, meaning more time is dedicated to lectures than the research aspect.

Basically, I'd like to know from people who did an intercalated masters how much time they had "free", or if anyone was able to get a part time job and how feasible it was with the requirements of the course.

Thanks in advance for the help!

This would solely depend on the contact hours of the particular course at the particular uni you are planning on intercalating at. If contact hours are not already listed on the uni's website for the course you're interested in, you will have to contact the uni yourself to get that information.

If it helps, though, I'm currently doing an intercalated taught masters in Mental Health, and for the first semester I'm in ~15 hours a week, though this will drop to 9 hours after Christmas. Don't forget, though, that there's a lot of independent study that also must be done during a masters, which takes hours out of your week as well. That being said, I don't envision it would be totally impossible, as long as you are able to manage your time well and keep on top of things (though the amount of part time work you need to do to sustain yourself could pose an issue potentially?).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending