Pill or coil? What's your experience

Watch
catchrylie
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have had thoughts about going on birth control for a while now. I haven't because my mom was so against me going on it. Well, a few months ago, I had unprotected sex and had a pregnancy scare. I'm 18 and a nursing student. I don't need becoming a mom added to my stress.

I've debated going on the pill. I know it's safe and effective. But I'm kinda bad at remembering to take pills...especially on time. A couple of roomies are on the pill and while they're happy with it...I know they're anal about taking it on time.

I also like the idea of being on the coil because it's long lasting and you don't have to worry about forgeting to take your birth control with you and you don't have to worry about taking it on time.

I'm just not sure what to go with and I have an appointment to get it in a few hours.

What has your experience been like with either the pill or the coil? Did you feel any different with either method?
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
I prefer coil, personally. Having it fitted is very uncomfortable though (much easier with local anaesthetic gel, but they didn't offer it to me until they'd had a few unsuccessful attempts - would advise asking for it straight away).
Last edited by black tea; 4 weeks ago
catchrylie
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
I prefer coil, personally. Having it fitted is very uncomfortable though (much easier with local anaesthetic gel, but they didn't offer it to me until they'd had a few unsuccessful attempts - would advise asking for it straight away).
Did having the coil make a huge difference in your periods? I heard it makes your periods heavier and you bleed more. Not that I have troublesome periods or anything like that.
Last edited by catchrylie; 4 weeks ago
black tea
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by catchrylie)
Did having the coil make a huge difference in your periods? I heard it makes your periods heavier and you bleed more. Not that I have troublesome periods or anything like that.
The copper coil can do that. I had the hormonal one. I had a normal period the next month after getting it, then spotting for 4 weeks, then no periods for 3-4 months and then my periods went back to normal. Some people's periods stop altogether though.
catchrylie
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
The copper coil can do that. I had the hormonal one. I had a normal period the next month after getting it, then spotting for 4 weeks, then no periods for 3-4 months and then my periods went back to normal. Some people's periods stop altogether though.
I'm not exactly sure what I want. I'm leaning coil because I can be crappy at remembering to take a pill at a certain time. Plus medicine can mess with the pill. I'm just not sure if I want additional hormones. Will the copper coil make me cramp more when my period comes?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You could always look at the patch or implant, they both negate the remembering issue of the pill?
black tea
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by catchrylie)
I'm not exactly sure what I want. I'm leaning coil because I can be crappy at remembering to take a pill at a certain time. Plus medicine can mess with the pill. I'm just not sure if I want additional hormones. Will the copper coil make me cramp more when my period comes?
Yes, in my understanding, the copper coil can make cramps worse. The are now hormonal coils with tiny amounts of hormones if you are worried about those - the advantage is that they have less systemic effects so you should have fewer of the side-effects that you get with the pill.
mmmo
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
i have tried nearly every birth control and have had not much luck with any of them tbh

pill: didnt work for me at all and made my periods very irregular

depo / injection: was amazing the first 2 doses but as im a bigger person already it made me gain weight by just breathing. it stopped my periods for the first two but by the third my periods came back and i ended up having a 16week long period/bleed- it was hell. i also ended up with experiencing the hormones of a pregnant woman for a couple years after which wasnt fun having morning sickness while battling a period :bawling:

marena coil: i wasnt told to have painkillers before hand so when having it put in i was in so so much pain i wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy. it stopped my periods but replaced it with monthly hell cramps which i never experienced before. the cramps had me unable to stand but besides that i was happy with the coil- i had to have the strings cut shorter though as i could feel them jabbing in me and it made it uncomfortable to walk and i ended up getting with a partner and i was worried about it being painful for them as id heard it could be. but the coil ended up being rejected by my body and while it was making an exit it was so painful so i sadly didnt have a happy ending with the coil but it was the one that worked best for me despite the cons of it
Last edited by mmmo; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.21%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.98%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.38%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.66%
Getting distracted (43)
18.3%
Procrastination (79)
33.62%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.43%

Watched Threads