The Student Room Group

Extra time for exams due to extreme sweaty palms

Hi, I'm due to take GCSEs in the summer but I have extremely sweaty palms which makes it almost impossible to write fast as I can barely grip a pen. I'm in the process of getting tested for a diagnosis but do you think that I would be able to get extra time or be able to use a laptop for this as it severely impacts my writing speed :frown:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by remuslupinkinnie
Hi, I'm due to take GCSEs in the summer but I have extremely sweaty palms which makes it almost impossible to write fast as I can barely grip a pen. I'm in the process of getting tested for a diagnosis but do you think that I would be able to get extra time for this as it severely impacts my writing speed :frown:

:laugh: no... Sweaty hands don't get you 'extra time'... It would make a mockery of people with serious health conditions who do, wouldn't it?
not really :smile: pretty sure it's hyperhidrosis which isn't just slightly 'sweaty hands' lol it makes it almost impossible to hold a pen for 30 seconds let alone write long essays. It may not be a 'disability' but it still puts you at a huge disadvantage??
Reply 3
u could wear some type of gloves maybe ask ur exam officer if its really big issue
not really :smile: pretty sure it's hyperhidrosis which isn't just slightly 'sweaty hands' lol it makes it almost impossible to hold a pen for 30 seconds let alone write long essays. It may not be a 'disability' but it still puts you at a huge disadvantage??

Lots of things put people at a disadvantage: that doesn't mean they get extra time. The most you'd get is the use of a laptop or a scribe, but I think that's unlikely.

They're sweaty hands - it's not a myeloma.

Hold your pen in tissues or look at wicket keeper inner gloves.
Reply 6
How do you cope in class? If you routinely use a laptop then you can use one in exams
Reply 7
Hi, I'm due to take GCSEs in the summer but I have extremely sweaty palms which makes it almost impossible to write fast as I can barely grip a pen. I'm in the process of getting tested for a diagnosis but do you think that I would be able to get extra time or be able to use a laptop for this as it severely impacts my writing speed :frown:

Get a letter from your GP and apply for 25% extra time as Hyperhidrosis is actually a physical disability. The doctor can give you some medicine which can help. You should have done this since you were in primary, it is a serious disadvantage and the others replying do not understand the condition.

Quick Reply