function of peptidoglycan cell wall

Watch
zarahh09
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is it just the same as normal cell wall which is to support and protect cell?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by zarahh09)
Is it just the same as normal cell wall which is to support and protect cell?
No, very much not 'just a normal cell wall'. It's comprised of two molecules, NAG and NAM (look them up) the latter of which have short peptide chains cross-linked to other peptide chains on neighbouring NAM residues, making up a sort of 'mesh'. The thick peptidoglycan layer in Gram+ bacteria is important for the integrity of the cell wall, and is involved in reproduction via binary fission.

Look up the Gram stain (to differentiate Gram + and Gram - bacteria) and you'll see the importance of the relatively thick peptidoglycan layer in Gram + bacteria in this test.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Reality Check

Good evening sir,

In your capacity as a highly experienced army surgeon, I thought you would add the crucial importance of knowledge of peptidoglycan structure in relation to the mechanism of action of penicillin??

M
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Reality Check

Good evening sir,

In your capacity as a highly experienced army surgeon, I thought you would add the crucial importance of knowledge of peptidoglycan structure in relation to the mechanism of action of penicillin??

M
Hi M. Yes, it's a good point, but it's difficult to know how much detail the OP needs, so I left it at structure only, rather than going into function. A good point nonetheless
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (63)
22.5%
Note taking apps (6)
2.14%
Flashcards (52)
18.57%
Revision guides (16)
5.71%
Past papers (132)
47.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (11)
3.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise