Graduate entry medicine but do not have science alevel

Watch
laisaj10
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
hello i am going to do a biomedical science degree next year hopefully apply to medicine. But i want to apply to undergraduate medicine as thankfully my parents are willing to help however i do not have the right a level as i am doing theology and ethics/psychology/applied science grades A*BC and in my gcse i got 8 in citizenship, Re, Urdu 6 in English literature and art and 5 in double science English language and maths could i still be accepted for ungergraduate medicine as i dont want to apply for the 4 year course
laisaj10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
HELLO
i am about to study biomedical sciences next year and hopefully study medicine in the future. However i am unsure that i will be able to gain a place as i am not studying science a levels and want to study undergraduate medicine as my parents are willing to help. I do applied science/theology and ethics/psychology grades=A*BCV my gcse grades are average due to TAG as i got an 8 which is an (A*)for citizenship ,Re and Urdu. 6 (B) in art and English literature .5(C) in double science English language and maths. I am wondering if its possiblefor mr to be accepted for medicine undergraduate course as a graduate
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by laisaj10)
HELLO
i am about to study biomedical sciences next year and hopefully study medicine in the future.
No you are not.

Never ever ever do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. It will take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive.

However i am unsure that i will be able to gain a place as i am not studying science a levels and want to study undergraduate medicine as my parents are willing to help. I do applied science/theology and ethics/psychology grades=A*BCV my gcse grades are average due to TAG as i got an 8 which is an (A*)for citizenship ,Re and Urdu. 6 (B) in art and English literature .5(C) in double science English language and maths. I am wondering if its possiblefor mr to be accepted for medicine undergraduate course as a graduate
Take a year out (or two) to improve your stats, take the A-Levels you require and apply as a school leaver to standard undergrad medicine.
laisaj10
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
No you are not.

Never ever ever do a degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine. It will take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much, much more competitive.

Take a year out (or two) to improve your stats, take the A-Levels you require and apply as a school leaver to standard undergrad medicine.
hey
my parents wont allow me to take a gap year as ill be the first in my family to go to uni as they think that ill be lazy and wont continue my education and i feel they might be right. also i actually enjoy science I've been over the content the biomedical science degree and looks interesting
Last edited by laisaj10; 3 weeks ago
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
hey
my parents wont allow me to take a gap year as ill be the first in my family to go to uni as they think that ill be lazy and wont continue my education and i feel they might be right. also i actually enjoy science I've been over the content the biomedical science degree and looks interesting
Do you want to do medicine for the science or for the job? If it's the science only, you may be happy with just biomed! But ecolier is right, grad medicine is very difficult, if you want to be a doctor, don't do another degree first!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
hey
Well tell them that GEM is much, much harder to get in.

My usual advice is - assume you can't do medicine (because statistically you can't) once you have do a random degree. Definitely, 100% don't bank on getting in.

Grads try 3, 4, 5 times and many will just give up trying.
LividOwl9
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
there are quite a lot of foundation courses for medicine, some are for widening participation, some are for those with the wrong subjects, some are for those with low grades, some are a combination. Have a look at this list, I'm sure you should be able to a apply to a few!

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ation-courses/

Having said that, it may not be what you want, but it would be significantly cheaper and potentially quicker for you to sit Biology and Chemistry a-level. Your A* in theology and ethics is fine, but you will need two more As preferably in Bio and Chem to get into undergrad. It's unlikely you'd be able to sit them in 2022, but you would certainly be able to self study and sit in 2023, for 2023 entry to a undergrad course.

It's worth noting that graduate medicine is significantly more competitive, with some unis I believe having 30+ applicants per place. Compared to roughly 6-12 for undergrad. Many applicants try for several years trying to get in, and still don't. You also have to self fund part of the course. If you decide to do the 5 year undergrad, after your first undergrad, you won't get any funding for that and will have to fund circa 90-100k yourself and that's after the debt from your first degree.

It is very advisable to resit and reapply for undergrad med over doing another degree with the sole aim of graduate entry medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (3)
6.67%
Okay (17)
37.78%
A bit lacking (13)
28.89%
Not good at all (12)
26.67%

Watched Threads