The Student Room Group

My future job

Hey all, So I’m just wondering about what I want to be when I’m older(I’m currently in year11).
I want to be a teacher however I don’t want to go university for that.
If I do go uni I want to do a business degree, and business is very good for loads of jobs. A teachers degree isn’t as valuable as a business degree In my opinion.
I want to be a primary school teacher, without a degree. Is this possible?
Original post by Littlesomebody
Hey all, So I’m just wondering about what I want to be when I’m older(I’m currently in year11).
I want to be a teacher however I don’t want to go university for that.
If I do go uni I want to do a business degree, and business is very good for loads of jobs. A teachers degree isn’t as valuable as a business degree In my opinion.
I want to be a primary school teacher, without a degree. Is this possible?

The 'value' of a degree is really based on what you want to do with it. If you know you want to be a teacher, then the most 'valuable' degree will be one that helps you achieve that goal.

Since you're only in Year 11 now, I would just focus on doing your best in your GCSEs and picking A-levels that you know you will enjoy and be able to do well in. Something to keep in mind is that to teach primary school, you will need at least a grade 4 in English, maths, and science.

To give you a rough idea of the different ways of becoming a teacher:

1) You can do an undergraduate degree in Primary Education with QTS. This will last three years, and involves a mixture of school placements and normal university work. After three years, you will then be able to get a job in a school.

2) You can do any undergraduate degree, and then apply for a PGCE - a post-graduate teaching qualification. This is a one-year qualification, so qualifying by this route will take 4 years total. During your PGCE year, you will still be eligible for a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan. While you can technically enter this route with any undergraduate degree, I believe that training providers do actually prefer if you have a degree that relates to a national curriculum subject (like English, maths, science), so a business degree may be less desirable here.
Original post by Littlesomebody
I want to do a business degree, and business is very good for loads of jobs. A teachers degree isn’t as valuable

firstly, no, secondly, what is a teacher's degree? you know most teachers have a primary degree which isn't called teaching

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending