The Student Room Group

I REALLY need some Christian help

I’m kinda stuck on this one thing. I want to be obedient to God, but I know that human effort to try to please God is something he does not like. I also have faith that God and Jesus will help me, but I also know that humans have free will, and can sin on their own accord while refusing the Holy Spirit’s warnings. Like, do I work hard to not be gluttonous or pray to God to turn me around? Neither seem like they would work on their own, but I feel like I have to choose one of them someday. I want to obey, but don’t know how to do so without my own efforts. What do I do?

If someone could send some verses pertaining to this topic that would be great!

(Edit) I guess I am struggling with how to repent. Does repenting mean leaving your sin behind and just stopping, or letting Jesus forgive you? And if so, how can I when my situation prevents me from leaving/I cannot figure out how?
(edited 2 years ago)
try scriptures
Repenting just means that you take some time to reflect on why what you did is wrong/sinful, go to reconciliation about it and genuinely ask for and accept forgiveness. You're technically supposed to try not to commit the same sin again but it's obviously hard since we're human so if you do it again just ask for forgiveness again and don't beat yourself up over it- it's ok :smile: No one is expected to be perfect.
you have to do both!! you need to try your best to avoid sin, it is pleasing to God, why wouldnt He want you to follow His commands? you can do that while also asking God to help you do it, we cant manage it on our own!

"He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." John 14:21

Repent by asking God to forgive you for your sins, then turning away from that sin.
In my experience God speaks to you directly to tell you either what to do or what is sin in your life to stop doing. Repent of what He highlights to you in your life and when tempted to do it pray to Him for strength. Remember resist the devil and he will flee from you
Original post by Smeraldettoi
In my experience God speaks to you directly to tell you either what to do or what is sin in your life to stop doing. Repent of what He highlights to you in your life and when tempted to do it pray to Him for strength. Remember resist the devil and he will flee from you

What do you mean? Like genuinely, how does God tell you that what you've done is a sin??? I've sinned, I've repented and gone to reconciliation and tried my best to turn away from that sin but I've never felt that God "highlighted" anything to me. You're supposed to use your conscience and knowledge about His teachings rather than waiting for a sign that you've sinned. (I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to what you mean so sorry if it comes across rudely.)
Original post by HavenMK
I’m kinda stuck on this one thing. I want to be obedient to God, but I know that human effort to try to please God is something he does not like. I also have faith that God and Jesus will help me, but I also know that humans have free will, and can sin on their own accord while refusing the Holy Spirit’s warnings. Like, do I work hard to not be gluttonous or pray to God to turn me around? Neither seem like they would work on their own, but I feel like I have to choose one of them someday. I want to obey, but don’t know how to do so without my own efforts. What do I do?

(Edit) I guess I am struggling with how to repent. Does repenting mean leaving your sin behind and just stopping, or letting Jesus forgive you? And if so, how can I when my situation prevents me from leaving/I cannot figure out how?

I don't think there's really such a thing as 'human efforts' to please God. Once you are truly, truly convicted to repent, that's coming from the Spirit. So there's no reason why God would be opposed to it.

Deuteronomy 30:19: "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live".

I love that verse so much, it talks about the fact that even in the midst of our free will, we are able to choose God, and God will be more than happy to see us choose him over the worries of this world. Hope this helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by kaorimiyazono
What do you mean? Like genuinely, how does God tell you that what you've done is a sin??? I've sinned, I've repented and gone to reconciliation and tried my best to turn away from that sin but I've never felt that God "highlighted" anything to me. You're supposed to use your conscience and knowledge about His teachings rather than waiting for a sign that you've sinned. (I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm just genuinely curious as to what you mean so sorry if it comes across rudely.)

Like he told me? Idk how to explain it
Like he told me? Idk how to explain it

What?? Like, a voice? Or like a strong feeling? Sorry, I've just never experienced this before so I find it really interesting and I'm intrigued/curious. Do you pray a lot?
Why don’t you ask to the reverends how do I repent to the god?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by kaorimiyazono
What?? Like, a voice? Or like a strong feeling? Sorry, I've just never experienced this before so I find it really interesting and I'm intrigued/curious. Do you pray a lot?

Can be both
(edited 2 years ago)
Can be both

Please can you be a bit more specific, with examples etc.? This is really interesting and I think it will inspire a lot of people in their walk with God, in knowing that he still sends messages to people in our current times. Thanks = )
Original post by Faith_24
Please can you be a bit more specific, with examples etc.? This is really interesting and I think it will inspire a lot of people in their walk with God, in knowing that he still sends messages to people in our current times. Thanks = )

Told me to throw out my crystal collection- voice in head

Spiritual experiences- seeing demons etc

Told me to give my first pay check to the homeless/ voice in my head

Told me not to idolise my gf- also voice in my head.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by HavenMK

"But I know that human effort to try to please God is something He does not like" This is where you are first going wrong, where did you learn this? how else will you please God without applying human effort? Firstly the bible says;
Ephesians 2:8 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God. This means there is nothing YOU can do to save yourself, only through belief in Jesus Christ can you be saved.

But then the bible goes on to say:
James 2:26
"Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works."

This means once you come to faith, it is expected that YOU should do works that now demonstrate your faith. An outward testimony to the saving grace you have received. So this bit does require human effort.

As for praying about being gluttonous, you are to do both. You pray for God to help you overcome whatever challenge you are facing but then you also have to do things to remove yourself from that situation e.g if you have an alcohol addiction, you pray for God to deliver you of the addiction but that doesn't mean you don't sign up to AA or remove yourself from situations where alcohol is flowing.

When you repent of sin, you repent because there is genuine regret. In the example of the woman in the bible who was caught in adultery, Jesus said
" Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
“No one, sir,” she said.
“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.

Can you see that Jesus forgave her BUT then told her what SHE needed to do - Go and sin no more.

So, the answer is you do both (Prayer to God and followed by action on your part)
Original post by HavenMK

1) Do both. "Faith without works is dead" (James 2:26). While you can - and should - ask God to help you become a better Christian, you should also start making an effort to give up gluttony.
2) Repentance is what happens when you feel sorry for something you've done. Try praying an Act of Contrition and see if that helps you.

That's really interesting, thank you for sharing that.

This is amazing! Would you mind saying a bit more about the demons, like did they appear in any particular places, just to help those of us that don't see them yet to be more aware of these things. Also. has it always been like this or do you do anything you think maybe other Christians don't? Thanks so much! = )
Original post by Faith_24
This is amazing! Would you mind saying a bit more about the demons, like did they appear in any particular places, just to help those of us that don't see them yet to be more aware of these things. Also. has it always been like this or do you do anything you think maybe other Christians don't? Thanks so much! = )

The ones I saw manifested in people; especially when gospel preaching was being done. It is hard to explain because it was mostly in the spirit I perceived them but also it was kind of physical too?

I don’t think I do anything particularly out of the ordinary; I enjoy studying scripture in the original languages and maybe fast sometimes but that’s it?
The ones I saw manifested in people; especially when gospel preaching was being done. It is hard to explain because it was mostly in the spirit I perceived them but also it was kind of physical too?

I don’t think I do anything particularly out of the ordinary; I enjoy studying scripture in the original languages and maybe fast sometimes but that’s it?

I'm going to try fasting more often, I did it yesterday until 5 on a school day and felt more energised than a lot of time when I eat! I've thought a lot about studying Scripture in Hebrew and Greek, I think I'll try it, thanks for the info = ).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19
yes, i see the conundrum. my guess is if you're like most human beings on earth and you can't seem to break free from a certain sin it is because one, you're focussed on the sin too much. it's like if i told you 'don't think of the word rock' all you're gonna do is think of the word 'rock'. my second suspicion if you're struggling is that you've identified yourself with said sin. say you struggle with anger and you can't get over it; now suddenly you've told yourself you're an angry person. you need to be careful on what you meditate on and what story you tell yourself.

As someone thinks within himself, so he is.
- Proverbs 23:7

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
-2 Corinthians 10:5

Do not copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
- Romans 12:2

re the op, yeah totally. no, the creator of the universe isn't looking down on you impressed by your efforts to 'fix' this because now you are self reliant and, tbh, i reckon it's also a bit insulting considering Jesus died on the flippin cross for you just so you wouldn't have to. i think you're telling yourself the wrong narrative tho when you say Jesus will 'help' you. like when Jesus prayed he did not say to the Father 'but help us from evil' he said 'but deliver(!) us from evil'. like you have to be convinced and convicted when you pray that you are delivered. again, meditate on good scripture that uplifts you; i reckon that will help. i can give you some examples but i feel like this is this is turning into an essay or a sermon :colondollar:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending