How much of a surplus will cause weight gain?

Watch
Ahhhhhhyeet
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How much of a caloric surplus will cause weight gain? As in if you had 100 more calories daily, would you gain weight?
cjunhui05
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
I want to know the answer too
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Such a tricky question I would also want to know the answer of this ....
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
In theory, a calorie surplus of even 1 kcal will cause weight gain, even though you'd never notice it. Depending on what macronutrients make up the calorie surplus, what kind of training you're doing, and your current state (are you rested or energy depleted?), will determine how much of your surplus goes to muscle, body fat, glycogen, or water weight (different cell types hold differing amounts of water weight).

To give you an idea, you require approximately a 3,500 calorie surplus to gain a pound of fat, or a 7,700 calorie surplus to gain a kilo of fat. So as an example, if you have a daily surplus of 100 calories, you will gain a maximum of a kilo of fat in 77 days. This will be quite hard to notice as it will be largely hidden by daily fluctuations in weight. Also, I say a maximum of a kilo, because if you are weight training, a lot of this will be going to other things, such as recovery and muscle protein synthesis (as long as you eat enough protein), so you will gain fat even slower than that. Of course if your surplus is larger, you will gain fat faster and it will be more noticeable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.35%
Okay (40)
28.78%
A bit lacking (49)
35.25%
Not good at all (37)
26.62%

Watched Threads