The Student Room Group

Change uni's

So I am at Plymouth marjon University studying primary education BA. I absolutely love it. However I may need to switch universities because I have like not much money have £400 to last me until January. It does not look great at all. I mean I am applying for jobs however I have only one reference which isn't great. I don't know what to do

Any advice please.

Thank you
Original post by Kentinho99
So I am at Plymouth marjon University studying primary education BA. I absolutely love it. However I may need to switch universities because I have like not much money have £400 to last me until January. It does not look great at all. I mean I am applying for jobs however I have only one reference which isn't great. I don't know what to do

Any advice please.

Thank you

Hi @Kentinho99

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried creating some kind of bugeting spreadsheet to ensure your money lasts until January? Similarly, budgeting apps can also be really useful - you can find more info on both here.

I'd try not to panic too much - if this is your first time handling your own finances it can take a while to get the hang of it so try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

Regards applying for jobs, have you applied for any jobs with your SU? Jobs like these can be a bit more flexible and may be more understanding when it comes to minimal references.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Kentinho99

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried creating some kind of bugeting spreadsheet to ensure your money lasts until January? Similarly, budgeting apps can also be really useful - you can find more info on both here.

I'd try not to panic too much - if this is your first time handling your own finances it can take a while to get the hang of it so try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

Regards applying for jobs, have you applied for any jobs with your SU? Jobs like these can be a bit more flexible and may be more understanding when it comes to minimal references.

Thanks and good luck!

Amy

Hi thank you for this.

I'm trying to budget as much as possible so i am not going out. Although I have joined a few societies sports wise and they having socials which cost money. I have enquired about a job at a local cafe which might be okay but again i think they want references. So I was going to apply for the role of student ambassador but that doesnt open again until February time ish

Any advice please.

Thank you

Hi @Kentinho99 👋,

Sorry to hear about your current financial situation but I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your university so far.

To add to a previous response, have you tried making contact with your universities finance support team? I would suggest emailing them directly explaining your situation and suggesting a meeting or phone call with them to discuss it. Most universities have one and they can be really helpful in offering you specific advise about your situation. They will also know if the university have any bursary money you can claim to help you out financially.

If you cannot find the information for the finance help team then I would suggest getting in contact with your lecturers or tutors and seeing if they can find out for you.

Hope this helps!

Good luck and best wishes,
Shelby - UoP Rep 😃
Reply 4
So I am at Plymouth marjon University studying primary education BA. I absolutely love it. However I may need to switch universities because I have like not much money have £400 to last me until January

Could you clarify how changing university will help you in this scenario?

I am applying for jobs however I have only one reference which isn't great.

You have only one reference, and that reference isn't great? Or you have only one reference, and the fact that you have only one reference isn't great because it would be better if you had two?

Where is that reference from? A workplace? If the issue is that the reference isn't great, why is that?

I'm trying to budget as much as possible so i am not going out. Although I have joined a few societies sports wise and they having socials which cost money.

It's not mandatory to attend social events. Or if you do, set a budget and stick to it. Or perhaps go for half and hour at the start and then leave early.

I have enquired about a job at a local cafe which might be okay but again i think they want references. So I was going to apply for the role of student ambassador but that doesnt open again until February time ish

If you can't find paid work, maybe look to do some volunteering. After you've been doing that for a while, you can probably ask someone from that role to give to a refence.
Original post by martin7
Could you clarify how changing university will help you in this scenario?

You have only one reference, and that reference isn't great? Or you have only one reference, and the fact that you have only one reference isn't great because it would be better if you had two?

Where is that reference from? A workplace? If the issue is that the reference isn't great, why is that?

It's not mandatory to attend social events. Or if you do, set a budget and stick to it. Or perhaps go for half and hour at the start and then leave early.

If you can't find paid work, maybe look to do some volunteering. After you've been doing that for a while, you can probably ask someone from that role to give to a refence.

Hey so I pretty much need two references i mean the one reference i have is great but it's from a long time ago. Changing uni's to go back home would be cheaper to just live at home. I'm enquiring about voluntary work but nothing is really coming up and work wise I'm looking but nothing is coming. I may have to quit a club because of costs as they're a sports team who travel and have subs and expensive socials. I have a mate but he's into clubbing and i don't mind it but its just expensive. The taxi fare. I mean like i have enquired to volunteer at a local school which may be quite good. I have to speak to the carers team on Monday ASAP.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I remember being in the same boat when I was in undergrad. Have you tried using any free budgeting apps? The right one can let you set monthly savings goals and help you change spending habits if you need to save a ton of cash or live frugally asap. The one I use is Nova Money but even an excel spreadsheet can help make it easier to change minor things about your spending patterns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending