The Student Room Group

UCAS application

I can't get any decent work experience or courses that would gain incredible recognition for my UCAS application. I've come across many opportunities but I'm not eligible for it based on the criteria especially because my parents are not on benefit and my school is not recognised as below average. Also, it's based on the place I live.

Whenever I see an opportunity but then "eligiblity criteria" then I already know my application isn't going to be accepted.

There is some things I could get but to pay £3000 pounds for 10 days whilst others can get 2yr programs for free, I wouldn't call it an opportunity.

If there's any recommendations or advice upon this, I will be extremely grateful as Yr12 is the year were everyone's trying get something down on their application.
Thank you for reading this!

Scroll to see replies

What sector are you looking for experience in ?
If you’re applying for stem then it isnt that deep
If you're looking for law it isnt that deep
Original post by International_CC
I can't get any decent work experience or courses that would gain incredible recognition for my UCAS application. I've come across many opportunities but I'm not eligible for it based on the criteria especially because my parents are not on benefit and my school is not recognised as below average. Also, it's based on the place I live.

Whenever I see an opportunity but then "eligiblity criteria" then I already know my application isn't going to be accepted.

There is some things I could get but to pay £3000 pounds for 10 days whilst others can get 2yr programs for free, I wouldn't call it an opportunity.

If there's any recommendations or advice upon this, I will be extremely grateful as Yr12 is the year were everyone's trying get something down on their application.

What subject will you be applying for?

The majority of undergrad courses don't require any work experience at all, (only things like medicine and veterinary programmes really). It's a myth that you need oodles of extra-curriculars to 'stand out'. You just need to demonstrate an aptitude and genuine interest in the subject.

You can do lots of stuff for free which will add to your application. Wider reading, online lectures, school/college clubs societies etc.
Reply 6

As has been said, for the majority of subjects you do not require work experience, so reading around the subject is a good idea.
Do you meet any of the eligibility criteria on these courses? If so, you may as well apply. I got onto the In2science course, and I only met one of their eligibility criteria, aside from attending a state school and taking the right subjects.
Also, it doesn't have to be an established course, you could try emailing relevant businesses in your area and asking if they'd let you do work experience.
Original post by Belljar77
What sector are you looking for experience in ?

thanks for your reply

im looking for experience in medicine or care
Original post by Admit-One
What subject will you be applying for?

The majority of undergrad courses don't require any work experience at all, (only things like medicine and veterinary programmes really). It's a myth that you need oodles of extra-curriculars to 'stand out'. You just need to demonstrate an aptitude and genuine interest in the subject.

You can do lots of stuff for free which will add to your application. Wider reading, online lectures, school/college clubs societies etc

thanks for your advice unfortunately im applying for medicine 😭

thank your very much for your advice

Have you asking hospitals or care homes if you could volunteer there?
thanks for your reply

im looking for experience in medicine or care

University of Dundee mentions this for work experience. https://www.rcgp.org.uk/observegp
Agree volunteering at a nursing home is a good option or volunteering at your local Covid 19 vaccination centre.

What about volunteering for St John ambulance? If you are under 18, you can join the youth programme.

https://www.sja.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer-opportunities/who-can-volunteer-with-us/
In the UK the social care sector is desperate for staff. An evening or weekend job (actual paid work not a volunteer role) would be much more use to a medical application than an experience course or volunteer position that doesn’t require commitment.
Do the medical online ones of you haven’t already. In particular observe gp and BSMS work experience, some med school have recommended them.
Then I would email your local hospital departments asking for work experience, most won’t reply but you might be lucky enough to receive some, even if they say not yet bc covid but maybe in the summer. This is what happened to me last year.
Like @PQ said a job is so useful, especially if it involves interacting with the public as you can demonstrate problem solving, communication etc much more then work experience.
Ultimately what I’ve learnt from my experience is that unis only want work experience to check you have a realistic idea of a doctors role and you can find this out from many doffeeent ways, not just traditional hospital based W.E. All other skills med schools look for are better to demonstrate in other ways.

So offer to help out at an old people's home pushing the tea trolley ( covid restrictions allowing) st John's ambulance, a food bank etc anything that shows you are capable of showing empathy and working as part of a team in contact with a part of the general population that may take you out of your comfort zone. You don't have to shadow a surgeon!

Does your local hospital have a volunteer scheme? Lots do, have a google. Also, try and find doctors to shadow? Are there any in your family/friends? Talk to your school and see if they have anyone in the parent network, or if any old pupils have studied medicine and would be willing to help. If not, send letters to local GP surgeries/hospitals and ask if they would allow you to do any shadowing. As some people have already suggested, volunteer at an old people's home, or do something with St John's Ambulance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by booklover1313
Does your local hospital have a volunteer scheme? Lots do, have a google. Also, try and find doctors to shadow? Are there any in your family/friends? Talk to your school and see if they have anyone in the parent network, or if any old pupils have studied medicine and would be willing to help. If not, send letters to local GP surgeries/hospitals and ask if they would allow you to do any shadowing. As some people have already suggested, volunteer at an old people's home, or do something with St John's Ambulance.

Thank you so much, I'll check my local hospital and St John Ambulance too!
Original post by Nobody2u
So offer to help out at an old people's home pushing the tea trolley ( covid restrictions allowing) st John's ambulance, a food bank etc anything that shows you are capable of showing empathy and working as part of a team in contact with a part of the general population that may take you out of your comfort zone. You don't have to shadow a surgeon!

Thank you so much, I'll check these out!
Original post by Rara345
Do the medical online ones of you haven’t already. In particular observe gp and BSMS work experience, some med school have recommended them.
Then I would email your local hospital departments asking for work experience, most won’t reply but you might be lucky enough to receive some, even if they say not yet bc covid but maybe in the summer. This is what happened to me last year.
Like @PQ said a job is so useful, especially if it involves interacting with the public as you can demonstrate problem solving, communication etc much more then work experience.
Ultimately what I’ve learnt from my experience is that unis only want work experience to check you have a realistic idea of a doctors role and you can find this out from many doffeeent ways, not just traditional hospital based W.E. All other skills med schools look for are better to demonstrate in other ways.

Thanks so much for your advice, I'll make sure to do all the online wex. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending