The Student Room Group

English Universities after S5

Which English universities could an exceptional Scottish student stand a chance in directly from S5?

I know that Leeds requires 6 Highers, or 1 Advanced Higher + 5 Highers. This is a workload which is achievable in S5, though requires excellent grades at minimum plus other achievements to win over the competition. Has anyone managed to skip a year to achieve this?

Durham normally requires 3 Advanced Highers, but can consider you with only Highers if your school doesn't offer.

For University of Birmingham, the website says for numerous courses, only Highers is acceptable.

Has anyone managed it?
Reply 1
Original post by justlearning1469
Which English universities could an exceptional Scottish student stand a chance in directly from S5?

I know that Leeds requires 6 Highers, or 1 Advanced Higher + 5 Highers. This is a workload which is achievable in S5, though requires excellent grades at minimum plus other achievements to win over the competition. Has anyone managed to skip a year to achieve this?

Durham normally requires 3 Advanced Highers, but can consider you with only Highers if your school doesn't offer.

For University of Birmingham, the website says for numerous courses, only Highers is acceptable.

Has anyone managed it?

I think it would be very hard to get into an English uni with only highers as Advanced Highers are the equivalent (and slightly better I'm pretty sure, don't quote me tho) than A-Levels which English applicants would be applying with. I've never heard of it happening but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I just highly doubt it.

Quick Reply