The Student Room Group

Advice ASAP??

I am currently on a psychology degree about a month into my third year - but I am severely struggling with mental health and not sure if I can carry on the degree, along with me not really enjoying it anymore / struggling with motivation. I really want to go into mental health nursing, but not sure how I would go about this with student finance. Advice please !!
Reply 1
Original post by ayk180501
I am currently on a psychology degree about a month into my third year - but I am severely struggling with mental health and not sure if I can carry on the degree, along with me not really enjoying it anymore / struggling with motivation. I really want to go into mental health nursing, but not sure how I would go about this with student finance. Advice please !!

Speak to your University asap that your having mental health issues so provisions can be put in place.

Seek mental health support from the NHS it is free.

Speak to your University admissions or course advisors to see whether you are able to make a transfer to a mental health nursing degree say into 2nd year or another relevant course.

Once you know what you can and can't do then I'd liaise with Student Finance that way you're not going back and forth with Student Finance. Then you can find out if you'll be eligible.

I would do this fairly soon.

Do you have any work experience? I know that's quite important in healthcare.

Alternative Option:
MSc Mental Health Nursing (2 years) would be a good option after completing your psychology degree if you can mentally cope with completing it.

Websites
https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/nursing/roles-nursing/mental-health-nurse

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/mental-health-nurse
Reply 2
Yes I agree with Ash.

Speak to your university and your GP if you are struggling with your mental health, the most important thing is your health.

Also ask yourself what is it about mental health nursing that appeals to you? I’m in my third year of a dual nursing degree (adult & mental health) and I have found placements incredibly hard at times. If you persue a MH nursing degree many of your placements will be on acute wards which can be quite demanding, especially in the current climate, bed and staff shortages etc. The sad situation is with the bed shortages it means patients are often admitted when they are very unwell and often times in acute settings it’s easy to feel like a glorified prison guard at times which is not what what I signed up for. With your psychology background perhaps consider becoming a therapist or councelor ?

Again the highest priority is that you look after yourself, I’m not trying to put you off MH nursing but it’s definitely worth doing your research before applying.

I hope that helps a little.
Reply 3
Original post by PinkAsh
Yes I agree with Ash.

Speak to your university and your GP if you are struggling with your mental health, the most important thing is your health.

Also ask yourself what is it about mental health nursing that appeals to you? I’m in my third year of a dual nursing degree (adult & mental health) and I have found placements incredibly hard at times. If you persue a MH nursing degree many of your placements will be on acute wards which can be quite demanding, especially in the current climate, bed and staff shortages etc. The sad situation is with the bed shortages it means patients are often admitted when they are very unwell and often times in acute settings it’s easy to feel like a glorified prison guard at times which is not what what I signed up for. With your psychology background perhaps consider becoming a therapist or councelor ?

Again the highest priority is that you look after yourself, I’m not trying to put you off MH nursing but it’s definitely worth doing your research before applying.

I hope that helps a little.

Sorry to jump on this thread, but how did you find your interview for the dual course?
Reply 4
Agree with above, your university will probably be really supportive. Don't delay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending