GCSE to A level jump?

Watch this thread
lolz21
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
currently in year 11 and I am going on to do a levels next year, and a lot of people say that there is a BIG leap from GCSEs to A levels, but how bug is the leap? How much of an increase in homework is there and what are the lessons like? Thanks to anyone that replies.
banannabelle17
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Honestly, it depends on your school/sixth form/ college, especially with specific things like homework, which will even vary between subject departments and teachers. And again, how intense the leap is will vary from subject to subject— for languages, for example, it is more evident, just as it might have been when you started GCSEs.

Which is probably the best way to think about it. The jump between KS3 and GCSE, and how that felt, it will be (relatively) similar to that.

Independent work is definitely more expected, so get ready for that. You're taking fewer subjects so you will be expected to be able to commit more time to each one. So again, it's hard to say how much more work there will be because teachers may give you less work than others, because they expect you to be doing more of your own research etc.
lolz21
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thanks! That was definitely helpful and I will definitely take this into consideration when picking my A-Levels!
anonymousc0w
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Imo, it is a big leap. Homework in my case was a lot less, but self studying required was a LOT more. Expect less spoon feeding from teachers as well. Just, be prepared to sacrifice a lot more time on studying.
Wojak
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lolz21)
currently in year 11 and I am going on to do a levels next year, and a lot of people say that there is a BIG leap from GCSEs to A levels, but how bug is the leap? How much of an increase in homework is there and what are the lessons like? Thanks to anyone that replies.
With regard to the humanities, it is essentially the same. However, I am told that the 'jump' we often hear about is in subjects like mathematics and the sciences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads