Highest bracket household income lowest loan despite low financial contribution

Watch
ItsaMeLex
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
After my mother remarries, the household income will be in the top band and thus merit minimal funding. However, my step-mother to-be’s income will make up 60% of the joint income, but will not contribute financially. My father and his new partner are not an option for helping out; despite making in excess of 100k a year between them, they don’t feel that they should pay towards my university fees and living costs as I live with my mother.

What am I supposed to do? Is working quite a lot through university my only option in this situation?
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you try and convince your father? It's not easy to work whilst studying at uni, but if you manage your time you'll be fine
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you talk to them all and say that working through university to make enough money to manage will make it much harder to focus on the degree and will be tiring and you won't get as much out of the university experience as you otherwise would.

I would talk to them all and see if you can get a commitment to pay towards your education.

Your father should help out financially, at the very least, in my opinion.

I am a parent myself and it annoys me when parents do this. You didn't ask to be born. You didn't ask for parents who split up. I would put it more tactfully than this though!

I also went through this as a student when my father refused to pay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads