The Student Room Group

Shall I take a gap year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gtty123
Fair enough, but, as an example, let me prove why your "up-to-date" argument is flawed (even if minimally). You've heard of A level Maths, right? Of course you have, there's no way you haven't.

I teach grid method because my knowledge is up-to-date and I also support Primary schools locally.

Epic fail - sorry
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gtty123
Lol.

I teach grid method for algebraic division [in A level Mathematics] and I did read your post ...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
I teach grid method for algebraic division [in A level Mathematics] and I did read your post ...

You've just proved my point... as I've stated, if there was someone like yourself, it'd make more sense to have them as a tutor. So, let's address your original point. What's the difference between yourself and a candidate who's less experienced, but more knowledgeable about current styles applied in exams?
Original post by gtty123
You've just proved my point... as I've stated, if there was someone like yourself, it'd make more sense to have them as a tutor. So, let's address your original point. What's the difference between yourself and a candidate who's less experienced, but more knowledgeable about current styles applied in exams?

I'm a qualfied teacher who has studied maths pedagogy and has a whole raft of ways to explain something - not just the ones I learnt as a student myself. Grid method may not work for everyone so teachers need a tool-kit.

Additional support costs nothing for students ... no-one needs a tutor. Actually, grid method is now glossed over at Primary and the old traditional division in taught subsequently as 'better' [not that I agree] ... did you know that? So in the future I'll have to adjust how I teach - I also use grid method for multiplying brackets in Year 8 before we reach factorising
Original post by gtty123

I think you guys should just agree to disagree as you've both made some completely valid statements.

I think tutoring can be open to people of all ages who have gained the relevant qualifications. Ultimately tutoring is about whether the student feels they're making sufficient progress and becoming more academically confident as a result of the tutors help and guidance. Everyone has different preferences and tutor teaching styles that work for them so it just depends on the student- tutor dynamic.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
I'm a qualfied teacher who has studied maths pedagogy and has a whole raft of ways to explain something - not just the ones I learnt as a student myself. Grid method may not work for everyone so teachers need a tool-kit.

Additional support costs nothing for students ... no-one needs a tutor. Actually, grid method is now glossed over at Primary and the old traditional division in taught subsequently as 'better' [not that I agree] ... did you know that? So in the future I'll have to adjust how I teach - I also use grid method for multiplying brackets in Year 8 before we reach factorising

I never said they need a tutor, just for this case being a tutor isn't something only achieved by being more experienced.

My sibling is at primary school and the old method you're referring to is definitely something they do not approve of. They've shown it, but don't expect students to utilise that. Grid method is the one they expect students to use.

Original post by TriplexA
I think you guys should just agree to disagree as you've both made some completely valid statements.

I think tutoring can be open to people of all ages who have gained the relevant qualifications. Ultimately tutoring is about whether the student feels they're making sufficient progress and becoming more academically confident as a result of the tutors help and guidance. Everyone has different preferences and tutor teaching styles that work for them so it just depends on the student- tutor dynamic.

I think that's for the better. I'll end it here.
Original post by TriplexA

People shouldn't tutor unless they have studied pedagogy ... they do more harm than good.
Original post by gtty123
I never said they need a tutor, just for this case being a tutor isn't something only achieved by being more experienced.

My sibling is at primary school and the old method you're referring to is definitely something they do not approve of. They've shown it, but don't expect students to utilise that. Grid method is the one they expect students to use.

Your sibling will be marked down in the KS2 test for not using the 'old' method - this is clear in the guidance. Ih they are in Year 5 or 6 they should use the 'standard method' NOT grid method.

For example "award ONE mark for the formal method of long multiplication" [KS2 mark scheme]

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/335158/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_Mathematics_220714.pdf
Reply 28
Original post by ayesha_15
Skills that you don’t have to know because you’re not an employer.

So imaginitive skills lmao
I purposely applied deferred for uni as i knew i wanted to take a gap year to work to save up for uni. Now here i am working full time, saving up.

My story went like (in london) : during college i wanted to have a part time job but as we moved to another area they didnt really employed young people which i found weird. Everywhere even the simplest Poundland job you had to be 18. Idk why. Where most places or areas 16 you could get a job. So in my 1st year of college - no job, rejection, so i started volunteering in a charity. Gained some customer service skills and some cashier skills. So in my 2nd year if college until the end like August ish i volunteered in a charity as Nobody would employ me. Whereas i had some work experience. It was just a bad area to live at. So then i applied for a few summer jobs had some interviews but then they didnt want me. All i looked for is part time job. So here comes november and i finally found a job At Gail's, coffee pastry shop, recommend it really. Full time. I was like ohh im gonna be tired. But yeah why not full time as i have nothing else to do in that one year.

So yeah. I couldnt work during my time at college as i didnt find a job then covid hit for both of the years, but i did volunteer in a charity shop. Thats something at least.
Look for jobs on indeed or the companies websites under Jobs/Careers.
Taking a gap year was a good choice for me. As during this time i save up, i gain work experience, have time to figure out how im gonna live at uni. Learn new skills. Figure out a few years of your life.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk!
Bye xx

Quick Reply

Latest