why do christians always say "jesus loves you"

Watch
charfreemannn
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
even to the most random ppl like little kids or people of different faiths. it was so weird, i was walking home yesterday and was waiting for the bus and a group of people came up to everyone there saying "jesus loves you", "repent before its too late"

there's nothing educational about that and i don't feel like i've gained anything from that information

it just made me uncomfortable (and seriously?? why little kids when they're with their parents? blatant disrespect especially when they're clearly not a Christian)
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Religious zealots trying to convert random strangers via a combination of carrot and stick tactics.:yucky:
Little pecker
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Think your reaction is over the top tbh
Learner777
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by charfreemannn)
even to the most random ppl like little kids or people of different faiths. it was so weird, i was walking home yesterday and was waiting for the bus and a group of people came up to everyone there saying "jesus loves you", "repent before its too late"

there's nothing educational about that and i don't feel like i've gained anything from that information

it just made me uncomfortable (and seriously?? why little kids when they're with their parents? blatant disrespect especially when they're clearly not a Christian)
They want to spread their faith as in Christianity it’s seen as a good thing to spread their faith.
Louis IX
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
It's a way of doing missionary work. Given the way most people react to being handed a gospel tract (politely taking it at best, and getting annoyed with the preacher at worst) I wouldn't say it's pretty effective.

Personally whenever anyone offers me a tract I politely decline and say I'm a Catholic.
day 481516
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Expect they're trying to obey Jesus:

Matthew 28:18-20:

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
day 481516
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
As a former Christian, I have some sympathy for Christians who do this. I've been in churches where there's great pressure place on Christians to evangelise. That Christian evangelising may not even want to be doing it but feel they have no choice.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by day 481516)
As a former Christian, I have some sympathy for Christians who do this. I've been in churches where there's great pressure place on Christians to evangelise. That Christian evangelising may not even want to be doing it but feel they have no choice.
It shouldn't be like a law it should be spontaneous desire. Jesus says:

"you shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and you shall be witnesses unto me "
(Acts 1:8)

And

"at that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you." (John 14:20)

The problem is, many churches lead people to believe they are "a Christian", when in fact they have not received this!

The experience is detailed in Acts 2v4 onwards . . . Did you ever get that day?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7%
October 2021 (191)
46.14%
November 2021 (42)
10.14%
December 2021 (54)
13.04%
January 2021 (45)
10.87%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.42%