I am worried that my autism will effect me getting an apprenticeship

Watch
Blaster54
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am in year 10 and am planning to get an apprenticeship however I have heard stories about employers making assumptions and rejecting autistic people any advice to reduce the possibility of this happening
guccislipper
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
As someone with ADHD, I would say just don't put it on your application and if you need any accommodations later just bring it up to HR.
Cancelled Alice
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends on how bad your autism is and how aware other people are of it.
PembaPup
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm autistic too - honest answer? I wouldn't mention it unless you have high practical support needs (help with independence) or may require adjustments during the application process.

Discrimination is (unfortunately) very real and rampant, especially towards autistic people. Is the company you're applying for listed as disability confident? If not, I wouldn't bring it up until after you get the position. I've only brought up being autistic once when applying for a position, and that was because it was directly relevant to the job, which was working with more severe autistic kids. Otherwise, I would err on the side of caution and not mention it.
Cancelled Alice
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PembaPup)
I've only brought up being autistic once when applying for a position, and that was because it was directly relevant to the job, which was working with more severe autistic kids. Otherwise, I would err on the side of caution and not mention it.
Personally I wouldn’t have mentioned autism in that context either. Many people who are reasonably knowledgeable about low functioning autism know nothing about high functioning autism and may hold many misconceptions about it.
PembaPup
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cancelled Alice)
Personally I wouldn’t have mentioned autism in that context either. Many people who are reasonably knowledgeable about low functioning autism know nothing about high functioning autism and may hold many misconceptions about it.
I agree, but by relevance to the position I meant that in that instance they stated they were especially welcoming autistic people / those who have experience with it to apply. I would only mention it in that circumstance or if the employer is disability confident, which I know a few are
Cancelled Alice
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I agree, but by relevance to the position I meant that in that instance they stated they were especially welcoming autistic people / those who have experience with it to apply. I would only mention it in that circumstance or if the employer is disability confident, which I know a few are
Yeah, that makes sense in the specific context

At the suggestion of my CPN, when I apply to disability confident jobs, I say that I have anxiety and don’t mention autism.
CrownCopyright
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
A 21st century
CrownCopyright
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
*a 21st century where Neurodivergent people are ignored when more than likely Nerurodivergence put us on the moon and gave us the technology to enable to communicate in this forum.
Blaster54
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm autistic too - honest answer? I wouldn't mention it unless you have high practical support needs (help with independence) or may require adjustments during the application process.

Discrimination is (unfortunately) very real and rampant, especially towards autistic people. Is the company you're applying for listed as disability confident? If not, I wouldn't bring it up until after you get the position. I've only brought up being autistic once when applying for a position, and that was because it was directly relevant to the job, which was working with more severe autistic kids. Otherwise, I would err on the side of caution and not mention it.
Thanks I just heard all the stories about it and got stressed about it maybe once I get out of year 11 things would of improved anyway I don’t think I’ll need to tell employers since I can support myself so I guess I should be fine
domesticengineer
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't mention it unless you have to on the application form. Sadly this is due to ignorant people who may be biased but I would hope that this doesn't happen these days in 2021. Some apprenticeships have an assessment day of group exercises and interaction where they may be assessing communication skills - so it may be worth mentioning it in advance if that is something you have difficulty with. If you are offered an apprenticeship role sometimes the health paperwork that comes with the contract might ask about disabilities or autism where you can be honest and they can't discriminate. My daughter is doing an apprenticeship and some of her colleagues have autism and there is no discrimination and are highly valued team members. I used to work in Australia with autistic people in employment settings - and who were employed in a wide range of sectors, inc IT. . Good luck. I think you might find you have some great skills that are exactly what employers are looking for
Last edited by domesticengineer; 3 weeks ago
freyugh
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I don't really have a solid answer for this but I'm autistic and currently in Year 13 looking (and starting to apply) for apprenticeships so I'm also facing the same dilemma. I've been aiming to find disability confident employers so that if I have to or feel it's necessary to disclose my autism they might be more likely to have some understanding of my disability, even if it may still be limited. However, personally I feel that I'm unlikely to disclose it unless I'm specifically asked because discrimination is still a pretty big concern to me since neurotypicals very rarely seem to truly understand and listen to us, so considering the fact that I'd probably be okay in the workplace without displaying any visible signs of struggle I don't feel it would be worth the risk for me. I've still not fully decided if that's what I'll do though because that's assuming I were to get the job, whereas in reality my autism is undoubtedly going to have an affect on my performance in interviews and other assessments, meaning I'll probably already be at a disadvantage compared to my peers before I've even started. At this point I think I'm just gonna have to put on my best neurotypical performance and hope for the best. Sorry this really isn't the most optimistic answer, it's honestly kind of more of a projection of my problems along with the potential options of what I could do about them but I don't have any real answers because at the end of the day you kind of have to decide using your own discretion. Since you have a few more years until you have to go through this, I'd be more than happy to discuss this again once I'm further along in the process or maybe once I've even started an apprenticeship (fingers crossed I'll get one) so feel free to drop me a message sometime in the future if you'd like to Wishing you all the best!
usernamechange11
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by guccislipper)
As someone with ADHD, I would say just don't put it on your application and if you need any accommodations later just bring it up to HR.
i have autism. would u say the same for uni? i should bring it up to the uni later?
usernamechange11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by freyugh)
I don't really have a solid answer for this but I'm autistic and currently in Year 13 looking (and starting to apply) for apprenticeships so I'm also facing the same dilemma. I've been aiming to find disability confident employers so that if I have to or feel it's necessary to disclose my autism they might be more likely to have some understanding of my disability, even if it may still be limited. However, personally I feel that I'm unlikely to disclose it unless I'm specifically asked because discrimination is still a pretty big concern to me since neurotypicals very rarely seem to truly understand and listen to us, so considering the fact that I'd probably be okay in the workplace without displaying any visible signs of struggle I don't feel it would be worth the risk for me. I've still not fully decided if that's what I'll do though because that's assuming I were to get the job, whereas in reality my autism is undoubtedly going to have an affect on my performance in interviews and other assessments, meaning I'll probably already be at a disadvantage compared to my peers before I've even started. At this point I think I'm just gonna have to put on my best neurotypical performance and hope for the best. Sorry this really isn't the most optimistic answer, it's honestly kind of more of a projection of my problems along with the potential options of what I could do about them but I don't have any real answers because at the end of the day you kind of have to decide using your own discretion. Since you have a few more years until you have to go through this, I'd be more than happy to discuss this again once I'm further along in the process or maybe once I've even started an apprenticeship (fingers crossed I'll get one) so feel free to drop me a message sometime in the future if you'd like to Wishing you all the best!
huh? i have ASD and the unis that have been in contact w me and my school have been really really supportive. i disclosed my autism right at the beginning and haven’t felt the need to “put on my best neurotypical performance” are the unis being fake 😟?
Last edited by usernamechange11; 1 week ago
freyugh
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by usernamechange11)
huh? i have ASD and the unis that have been in contact w me and my school have been really really supportive. i disclosed my autism right at the beginning and haven’t felt the need to “put on my best neurotypical performance” are the unis being fake 😟
I might feel differently if I was applying to university since maybe you're able to get more support there but I was saying that in reference to interviewing to get apprenticeships, where I do not feel I'd be wholly supported if I was to disclose my autism.
usernamechange11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I might feel differently if I was applying to university since maybe you're able to get more support there but I was saying that in reference to interviewing to get apprenticeships, where I do not feel I'd be wholly supported if I was to disclose my autism.
oh, got you! 💕
freyugh
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by usernamechange11)
oh, got you! 💕
No worries, good luck with your university applications and such! I hope it all goes well for you <3
usernamechange11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
No worries, good luck with your university applications and such! I hope it all goes well for you <3
thankyou so much!! i hope everything goes well for you also! 💕💕
Chris2892
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blaster54)
I am in year 10 and am planning to get an apprenticeship however I have heard stories about employers making assumptions and rejecting autistic people any advice to reduce the possibility of this happening
University aside and to discuss careers…

I work with a big healthcare company where the average qualification is a Masters degree. We partner with a company called LightHouse Trust for helping people with autism into careers.
we’ve sat training specific to individuals and tailored some of our worldwide procedures to fit needs.

I don’t have to tell you different people with autism have different needs. Some are on apprenticeships and others work part time based on what works for them.

The individual with autism in my department is part time and my work is Research and Development mixed office / hands-on. They enjoy the procedural step-by-step hands on work the most so I always add them to my project teams. In all honesty, this particular person tends to be more thorough and precise with the work anyway, which is what’s needed.

I’d recommend finding someone like LightHouse Trust local to you that might help find you an employer that will accommodate your needs.

Hope this was helpful in showing there are accommodating employers out there.
Last edited by Chris2892; 1 week ago
petertyerman
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
there are organisation out there that have expertise on helping those with autism into work including apprenticeship. Autusm Plus is one I know of .They will know which local employers are supportive and can also you support you in work this can all be funded by access to work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (19)
8.6%
Okay (65)
29.41%
A bit lacking (83)
37.56%
Not good at all (54)
24.43%

Watched Threads