The Student Room Group

Reapplying to a different uni

Hey everyone, I just need some clarification on this issue.

I'm a first year right now and I already know I don't like this university, even though people say its only been a few weeks since uni started. So right now I've decided to reapply to only a few unis that I've actually been to and like the environment. I still plan to finish my first year in my current uni to see if I feel any different but if I still don't like it I'll have an option to go elsewhere. I just have a few questions:

1) Do I have to put in my current uni as an education institute I've attended? (ie new reference will be from my uni tutor instead of sixth form) Or can I just completely omit this and put in my old sixth form reference? (ie the unis I'm applying to will think I took a gap year) I prefer the latter as I haven't had much interaction with my uni tutor whereas my sixth form reference were written by teachers that actually taught me

2) If I use a personal statement that is identical/very similar to my old one will I get a plagiarism alert as I would be under a new UCAS ID even though it was still written by me?

Thanks any help is appreciated.
1) yes you need to put in your current uni. Some universities will want a reference from them as well as whichever reference you put in on UCAS. -you can’t omit it.

2) I believe your statement will flag but when it’s checked it will show it’s flagged against your own so it won’t be an issue.
Reply 2
Original post by GabiAbi84
1) yes you need to put in your current uni. Some universities will want a reference from them as well as whichever reference you put in on UCAS. -you can’t omit it.

2) I believe your statement will flag but when it’s checked it will show it’s flagged against your own so it won’t be an issue.

So should I just put in the reference from my sixth form first and only if the universities ask for my current uni reference then I send it to them? Or just straight away just submit with my current uni reference?
Original post by jkong_03
So should I just put in the reference from my sixth form first and only if the universities ask for my current uni reference then I send it to them? Or just straight away just submit with my current uni reference?

In most cases it’s easier to ask your current uni upfront, as if you provide an older ref and your choices need a newer one they may set you a relatively short timescale to obtain it.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
In most cases it’s easier to ask your current uni upfront, as if you provide an older ref and your choices need a newer one they may set you a relatively short timescale to obtain it.

Alright I'll ask my current uni for it.

I realise I have way more questions than what I asked in this thread.

Do I absolutely need to explain in my new personal statement why I'm reapplying or can I choose not to? Or can I put this in another section of my application?

I also need help with filling up UCAS education section, what qualifications do I fill in for my university modules? Do I just put Other(UK qualifictions) and fill in my module names? If it helps for context I'm currently studying computer science and wish to reapply for the same course.
Do I absolutely need to explain in my new personal statement why I'm reapplying or can I choose not to? Or can I put this in another section of my application?

As you’re applying for the same course I think it would make sense to address it a little bit. Presumably you enjoyed the subject but the uni environment didn’t suit you or somesuch. Just remember that the majority of your word count should be about your aptitude and suitability for the course.

I also need help with filling up UCAS education section, what qualifications do I fill in for my university modules? Do I just put Other(UK qualifictions) and fill in my module names?

Just input your first year as Other. You won’t have space to input all of the modules under it, but you can input a few. If your choices need a full transcript they will contact you to ask for one.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
As you’re applying for the same course I think it would make sense to address it a little bit. Presumably you enjoyed the subject but the uni environment didn’t suit you or somesuch. Just remember that the majority of your word count should be about your aptitude and suitability for the course.

Just input your first year as Other. You won’t have space to input all of the modules under it, but you can input a few. If your choices need a full transcript they will contact you to ask for one.

For the end date of my current uni, do I put July 2022 or 2024(when I'm supposed to graduate)?
For the end date of my current uni, do I put July 2022 or 2024(when I'm supposed to graduate)?

Put the approximate date that you would leave if your application is successful.

Quick Reply

Latest