Is eBay a good website to buy from?

Watch
Amin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I never bought anything from eBay before and would like to know if it is a good website to buy from? Thanks
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes. Their Paypal is a highly reputable and safe way to buy or sell things. Great customer service if things go wrong and are usually on to it right away.
Mephlick
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Make absolute sure that the vendor is reputable and has a relatively large amount of strong positive reviews. Also make sure you check the description and condition of every item you buy. If you do that, you're absolutely golden.
markova21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
My tip would be to buy something that is from a reputable seller; i.e. someone who has received lots of positive feedback. ( Although I recently read a lot of feedback could be fake).
Last edited by markova21; 3 weeks ago
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Compared to an actual retail site or store? not very good IMO, Paypal either.
PPK3000
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I even bought my car at an auction on eBay... £350, a real bargain!

I have been using eBay for more than 10 years now. If you know how it works and how to identify scams from real things, it can be the best place to buy sometimes at ridiculous prices.
Last edited by PPK3000; 3 weeks ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Never had a problem as a buyer.

Suppose I'd prefer to buy some things off there more than others - There are well known problems with buying (for instance) very cheap phone chargers off ebay...

some are fake apple chargers, some are chinese factory rejects being sold out of a dumpster by a delboy anyway. You can get cheap chargers from brick and mortar shops like poundland or B&M that have been safety checked because they're multi million pound companies with a physical presence in the UK.

amazon sells this stuff too - but Amazon better hides the fact that you're actually buying from a delboy and that amazon is just doing payment and shipment for them.

I'd be wary about cheap things that plug into the mains cos they could kill you. (see video below)

https://youtu.be/ioAq7PI1Uwg?t=14
Whatsmyusername
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Perhaps the best site to buy stuff from. It is probably the biggest place for second hand items but they also have plenty of new things from wholesale sellers. It's also very easy to use and put up a listing. I'd recommend it over Amazon any day.
Last edited by Whatsmyusername; 3 weeks ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.
Ebay is an excellent site to pay from uk based sellers with at least 80% positive feeback.
Best to avoid buying makeup and all imported items from outside uk territories priced below £30 though.
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Amin7)
I never bought anything from eBay before and would like to know if it is a good website to buy from? Thanks
Generally yes. Their payment system is good and most products are good. Check all photos and stuff (especially if buying second hand). As long as you read descriptions and things it should be fine.
sanders777
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
ebay is good, but I more use amazon
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Amin7)
I love eBay. If it's something which you can't seem to find anywhere else, then there will probably be a seller on eBay with it. It's been very useful for replacing antique or broken china where the pattern has been discontinued, but I suspect that won't be your primary use of eBay :laugh:

Check out the feedback carefully, and use your common sense when buying. Above all, remember the old adage: 'if it's too good to be true, then it probably is'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.71%
Okay (70)
29.05%
A bit lacking (90)
37.34%
Not good at all (60)
24.9%

Watched Threads