What science degree leads to the best paid jobs?

Watch this thread
Zrake
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
What would you say is the best university course which leads to the highest paying jobs(Apart from Medicine/Dentistry/Vet)
Basically which science degree leads to jobs with the highest salaries apart from those thee?
ghostcake
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Computer science, and maths if you’re open to those.
I think lots of avenues in chemical engineering as well, in industry and the medical sector.
Genetics and molecular biology is a very up and coming branch, which is quite sought after.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Zrake)
What would you say is the best university course which leads to the highest paying jobs(Apart from Medicine/Dentistry/Vet)
Basically which science degree leads to jobs with the highest salaries apart from those thee?
Hia,

one of the most up and coming best-paid science jobs in biotechnology. This is basically the roles that led to the development of the covid vaccine, so funding for this section has massively increased recently and there are loads more jobs available in this field. It is basically the manipulation of biological mechanisms for practical gain. There's a module on it in our third-year biology course with a synopsis for what it is, take a look:

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-biology

UoP Rep - Ben
pure_hatred
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Quick disclaimer, even though the degree choice is important, how well you do in the subject is more so! Now on the topic of money...

Quantitatively, it's medicine globally, for security of income and strong graduate earnings, especially in America. An anaesthesiologist there (closely involved with surgery) can earn more than a top corporate lawyer. In the UK, doctor's don't earn as much as the private sector isn't as massive, however it is still a very secure, well paid and reputable profession.

Degrees in engineering and computer science can be incredibly well paid; it's quite easy to join the city with a good degree from one of these, or be hired by an appropriate company. Biochemistry is up and coming, yes, however it is important to recognise that computer science is revolutionising most genetic fields, and it always has been. Im talking CRISPR, Human Genome project, even recently with the AI protein folding algorithm. All my biochemists out there will know how big a deal this is!

There is a common order for the big 3 science degrees in terms of pay:
1. Physics (engineering, materials science, etc.)
2. Chemistry (Biochem/Genetics)
3. Biology (Biological/Human Sciences)
There is a massive gap between Chemistry and Biology in terms of pay. Biology graduates earn significantly less than any other science graduates. Despite being a science degree, it will earn you an average salary on par with a degree in English Literature. This is because Chemistry is quite mathsy, which has a strong correlation for getting people jobs.

In terms of unis and EARNINGS for science degrees, Oxbridge are of course fantastic, but so are Imperial, UCL, St. Andrews... aim for the Russell group ones if money is very important to you because they have a reputation.
The MOST reputable ones are known as the golden triangle (UCL, KCL, LSE, Oxbridge). Multiple studies have shown that there is a significant pay difference between those at Russell group unis and those not at Russell group unis. The name carries for employers, trust me. However, don't do a degree just for money! Just answering your question exactly.

Now, the truly best "science" degrees to earn money are in Maths and Economics. Completely unsurprising. Both are full of maths (duh), and one gives you vast practical knowledge to be employed by banks. That's where you make a lot of £££!

But don't do a science degree just for money, that's rather pointless and quite a poor motivator at uni, PLEASE make sure you like the subject. You'd be shocked how many people "just go for the degree" and drop out because they don't actually enjoy what they're doing.
Zrake
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by pure_hatred)
Quick disclaimer, even though the degree choice is important, how well you do in the subject is more so! Now on the topic of money...

Quantitatively, it's medicine globally, for security of income and strong graduate earnings, especially in America. An anaesthesiologist there (closely involved with surgery) can earn more than a top corporate lawyer. In the UK, doctor's don't earn as much as the private sector isn't as massive, however it is still a very secure, well paid and reputable profession.

Degrees in engineering and computer science can be incredibly well paid; it's quite easy to join the city with a good degree from one of these, or be hired by an appropriate company. Biochemistry is up and coming, yes, however it is important to recognise that computer science is revolutionising most genetic fields, and it always has been. Im talking CRISPR, Human Genome project, even recently with the AI protein folding algorithm. All my biochemists out there will know how big a deal this is!

There is a common order for the big 3 science degrees in terms of pay:
1. Physics (engineering, materials science, etc.)
2. Chemistry (Biochem/Genetics)
3. Biology (Biological/Human Sciences)
There is a massive gap between Chemistry and Biology in terms of pay. Biology graduates earn significantly less than any other science graduates. Despite being a science degree, it will earn you an average salary on par with a degree in English Literature. This is because Chemistry is quite mathsy, which has a strong correlation for getting people jobs.

In terms of unis and EARNINGS for science degrees, Oxbridge are of course fantastic, but so are Imperial, UCL, St. Andrews... aim for the Russell group ones if money is very important to you because they have a reputation.
The MOST reputable ones are known as the golden triangle (UCL, KCL, LSE, Oxbridge). Multiple studies have shown that there is a significant pay difference between those at Russell group unis and those not at Russell group unis. The name carries for employers, trust me. However, don't do a degree just for money! Just answering your question exactly.

Now, the truly best "science" degrees to earn money are in Maths and Economics. Completely unsurprising. Both are full of maths (duh), and one gives you vast practical knowledge to be employed by banks. That's where you make a lot of £££!

But don't do a science degree just for money, that's rather pointless and quite a poor motivator at uni, PLEASE make sure you like the subject. You'd be shocked how many people "just go for the degree" and drop out because they don't actually enjoy what they're doing.
Thanks a lot that really gave me a good insight on how it all is. I am currently thinking about Biochemistry or Pharmacy/Pharmacology. Which do you think is a better way to go? It seems biochemistry leads to a better payoff with a higher salary and things like that, but when looking through the modules of both courses pharmacy seemed more endearing. However I have a feeling it won't lead to the same level of job as biochem would. Any advice would be helpful, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.68%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (41)
25%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.49%

Watched Threads