The Student Room Group

American university

I am currently enrolled in a UK university but I really want to do my full undergrad in the US and was wondering would it be possible to apply to US universities? I know that they say if you are already enrolled at uni you have to apply as a transfer student, but this would mean I would have to complete 2 years at my current uni which I don't think I can do. Can't I just apply as a first year instead? How would they know I'm already at uni
Unfortunately, yes, for the vast majority of US universities, you will have to apply as a transfer student. I'm not sure what colleges you're looking at, but there are plenty of schools that allow for sophomore transfers (so after one year at your UK uni). I will note that the biggest problem international transfer students face is funding (if people think the financial aid and scholarships fool for first-year international students is low, it's way worse for transfers).

What colleges are you looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by kamara41
Unfortunately, yes, for the vast majority of US universities, you will have to apply as a transfer student. I'm not sure what colleges you're looking at, but there are plenty of schools that allow for sophomore transfers (so after one year at your UK uni). I will note that the biggest problem international transfer students face is funding (if people think the financial aid and scholarships fool for first-year international students is low, it's way worse for transfers).

What colleges are you looking at?

How would they know I'm already at university though? What if I just don't tell them and apply as a first year student.
Original post by Anonymous
How would they know I'm already at university though? What if I just don't tell them and apply as a first year student.

That would be academic misconduct and a fraudulent application so if they did find out you would be pretty much immediately blacklisted...

In any case they will probably see that you finished school the year before and want an explanation of what you have been doing in the meantime.

I would not consider this thread an auspicious start to an academic career (in the US or otherwise)...
(edited 2 years ago)
I would note that admissions staff are ‘fairly experienced’ in spotting profiles with mysterious gaps in study.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
I would note that admissions staff are ‘fairly experienced’ in spotting profiles with mysterious gaps in study.

Do they not like people who take gap years? Or accept mature students? I know that from my sixth form there are several people who have started at US universities this year and they have taken gap years
Do they not like people who take gap years? Or accept mature students? I know that from my sixth form there are several people who have started at US universities this year and they have taken gap years

Not at all. It's not that they don't like applicants who are on gap years, it's just that, especially because gap years are very uncommon for US students to take, they're going to want an explanation of what you've been doing, whether that's in the activities section or as an additional writing supplement. So you're not going to be able to hide that you're at uni. And if you do get caught, it won't end well. It's not worth the risk.

Can't speak for American unis specifically, but most don't have any issue with gap years or mature students. They definitely do have an issue with people omitting bits and bobs from their education history because it calls into question how honest the applicant has been with the rest of their information. As above, it's just not worth the risk for something which in the majority of cases isn't going to make any difference to the outcome of your application, (but let them decide that).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending