Student finance for 2nd degree when quitting pgce

Watch this thread
Yas_tas
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I currently have a degree in English language and am now currently on a pgce english secondary teaching course. I want to quit this course as it’s not the career for me and want to join a Full time adult nursing bsc with a foundation year. Would sfe cover the full 4 years as I’ve heard that 2nd degrees that lead to registration get funded. Additionally will my sfe application be affected if I quit the pgce course or possibly defer it.
trav19845
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Have you quit your PGCE? Do you know what the financial implications for quitting at this stage? as I am in the same position and I would like to terminate my place on the course.
Last edited by trav19845; 7 months ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Yas_tas)
I currently have a degree in English language and am now currently on a pgce english secondary teaching course. I want to quit this course as it’s not the career for me and want to join a Full time adult nursing bsc with a foundation year. Would sfe cover the full 4 years as I’ve heard that 2nd degrees that lead to registration get funded. Additionally will my sfe application be affected if I quit the pgce course or possibly defer it.
Hi, your previous study will not affect your eligibility to receive funding for the Nursing course as long as you are not professionally registered in this field.

Thanks, Isaac
Yas_tas
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, your previous study will not affect your eligibility to receive funding for the Nursing course as long as you are not professionally registered in this field.

Thanks, Isaac
When I fill in the form for sfe , it ask whether it’s a full time undergraduate degree or a Pre-registration postgraduate health care course. Which would adult nursing fall into , as it’s not a postgraduate but it Pre-Registration and an undergraduate. Also , if I stay on to complete the pgce and then apply for the sfe is that still exempt as previous study.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
When I fill in the form for sfe , it ask whether it’s a full time undergraduate degree or a Pre-registration postgraduate health care course. Which would adult nursing fall into , as it’s not a postgraduate but it Pre-Registration and an undergraduate. Also , if I stay on to complete the pgce and then apply for the sfe is that still exempt as previous study.
Hi, you should ask your university if it's a postgraduate or undergraduate course and then tick the correct option.

Your previous study/qualifications do not affect your eligibility for the Nursing course.

Thanks, Isaac
Yas_tas
Rep:
(Original post by trav19845)
Have you quit your PGCE? Do you know what the financial implications for quitting at this stage? as I am in the same position and I would like to terminate my place on the course.
Hi , I’m not sure about the full implications but I’ve spoken to an education advisor at a university that I’m considering applying to and asked about funding if I quit the pgce midway, he said they wouldn’t fund 2021/2022 since they funded the pgce for that year , but for 2022/23 onwards they fund as you can’t have 2 active course in the same year. They had a course start date for April , but I’ll have to wait for the September in take, which gives me time to prepare. So essentially they will pay regardless whether you drop out if you start September, as I’ve seen some course do start in Jan/Feb and April.
Yas_tas
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, you should ask your university if it's a postgraduate or undergraduate course and then tick the correct option.

Your previous study/qualifications do not affect your eligibility for the Nursing course.

Thanks, Isaac
I’ve currently suspended my pgce course , will I have to fully withdraw to apply for student finance for a bsc in nursing in September.
Last edited by Yas_tas; 6 months ago
Shaun SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
I’ve currently suspended my pgce course , will I have to fully withdraw to apply for student finance for a bsc in nursing in September.
Will you also be switching the university?

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Yas_tas
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Shaun SFE)
Will you also be switching the university?

Warm regards,

Shaun.
Possibly , I’ve applied for the same uni as one of my options. What happens in both cases ?

Also , if I’ve received a student finance overpayment that I need to payback in instalments will that affect my eligibility for a sfe loans for my 2nd degree of a 3 year nursing course ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
25.95%
As I expected (52)
32.91%
Harder (58)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.43%

Watched Threads