Poll: IB Help! Maths AA SL or Maths AI HL?
AA SL (2)
50%
AI HL (2)
50%
mscatlover
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello!

It's been two months and I am struggling a lot with maths AA HL. The way my teacher explains makes no sense to me, and I don't understand at all in class. I do a lot of work at home, get the basics right on the topic we did during the day. However, this is very time consuming since we do a new topic a day, and I end up getting 4s & 3s in the exams.

In the future, I want to do either biological sciences, biochemistry, chemistry, economics or environmental/sustainable science. I am also interested in computer science, which I like.

Based on these subjects, should I choose AA SL or AI HL to change to? AA SL is accepted for almost all sciences (except engineering of course) and economics, business, finance... However, Computer Science requires a Maths at HL. If I take AI HL though, I am afraid I will be barred entry to any of the courses except computer science, as most, if not all universities, require strictly AA (HL or SL).

What should I choose? I have always been leaning more towards Maths AA SL, also because I am afraid AI HL will be a lot of catch up work and entirely new concepts.

PS: I would be changing AA HL to Chemistry HL and AA SL

Thank you!!

TL;DR
In the future, I want to do either biological sciences, chemistry, economics, environmental/sustainable science, biochemistry or computer science. Based on these subjects, should I choose AA SL or AI HL to change to from AA HL?
coline.sol
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
hi! i'm currently a year 2 AI HL student. I have a couple friends in my class who are going to go into economics, business, and finance; they are still able to apply to more 'prestigious' universities like LSE, UCL, and more; some of them are also going into medicine, but they plan on going to uni in the US. I'd say, if you want to keep your options open, stick to HL math, but be aware that AI HL will involve a lot more statistics than AA.
I have friends who took AA SL who are really struggling to find universities who will even allow them to apply in the fields of finance, accounting, etc.
Last edited by coline.sol; 3 weeks ago
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! I've just finished my diploma, but took the old maths SL in a year, so I can't comment on specifics around the new courses, However, if you don't already have Chemistry at HL, surely that would take priority over maths if you're considering studying it at university. Even AI SL is acceptable for science courses such as medicine in the UK. At the end of the day though, I think you should take whichever course you feel you can score higher in
mscatlover
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by coline.sol)
hi! i'm currently a year 2 AI HL student. I have a couple friends in my class who are going to go into economics, business, and finance; they are still able to apply to more 'prestigious' universities like LSE, UCL, and more; some of them are also going into medicine, but they plan on going to uni in the US. I'd say, if you want to keep your options open, stick to HL math, but be aware that AI HL will involve a lot more statistics than AA.
I have friends who took AA SL who are really struggling to find universities who will even allow them to apply in the fields of finance, accounting, etc.
(Original post by IBkidinthecorner)
Hey! I've just finished my diploma, but took the old maths SL in a year, so I can't comment on specifics around the new courses, However, if you don't already have Chemistry at HL, surely that would take priority over maths if you're considering studying it at university. Even AI SL is acceptable for science courses such as medicine in the UK. At the end of the day though, I think you should take whichever course you feel you can score higher in
Thank you! I will keep this in mind. However, universities in Europe (outside UK though!) seem to dislike AI, or they literally put it at the same level as AA SL (e.g. "Either a 5 in SL AA or HL AI"), so I am still unsure if AI HL is worth it, especially as some friends who take it mention that it's very hard.
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mscatlover)
Thank you! I will keep this in mind. However, universities in Europe (outside UK though!) seem to dislike AI, or they literally put it at the same level as AA SL (e.g. "Either a 5 in SL AA or HL AI"), so I am still unsure if AI HL is worth it, especially as some friends who take it mention that it's very hard.
Oh yes of course! If you’re looking at Europe definitely don’t do AI SL. Both the AA courses are more similar to the old maths courses - I expect the universities aren’t sure about how rigorous the new AI HL course. Personally I’d take AA SL as you won’t have to worry about learning additional content, but you could speak to your maths teacher and careers counsellor about it and see what they have to say
hehe_x
Badges: 14
Report 3 weeks ago
I did SL AA and when I compared it to the HL paper, quite a lot of the questions were the same (around 70%) in section A. If I remember correctly t's only the last 2 pages of the HL paper that have different, harder questions and maybe the odd difficult one in section A.

I don't know how many unit tests you've done but try to see which section questions you're struggling the most in. I can understand this might be hard to do as you've literally just started IB. If it's mostly section B then SL AA shouldn't be too bad. If section A is also causing major issues then re-consider doing AA. HL AI isn't necessarily significantly 'easier' as far as I'm aware so I'd have a word with your teacher.

p.s: look at the specimen papers for the new syllabus if this whole section A and B madness seems unfamiliar to you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.71%
Okay (70)
29.05%
A bit lacking (90)
37.34%
Not good at all (60)
24.9%

Watched Threads