What are Band 8/9 Hospital Pharmacy jobs like and how difficult are they to get?

Watch this thread
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,

As someone who is interested in Hospital Pharmacy, I'm wondering what NHS Band 8/9 Pharmacy jobs entail exactly?

Obviously at these bands the salaries start becoming very good and not too far off that of a doctor or a dentist, but I've heard criticism that bands at this level tend to be less about clinical pharmacy and more about management, bureaucracy, red tape etc given its the clinical aspect that most pharmacists are interested in and love doing, do these jobs therefore seem less appealing despite the higher salaries?

How long could one realistically expect to obtain one of these jobs from the time they graduate?
Last edited by Sharpshooter; 8 months ago
ashvinsingh
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Hi all,

As someone who is interested in Hospital Pharmacy, I'm wondering what NHS Band 8/9 Pharmacy jobs entail exactly?

Obviously at these bands the salaries start becoming very good and not too far off that of a doctor or a dentist, but I've heard criticism that bands at this level tend to be less about clinical pharmacy and more about management, bureaucracy, red tape etc given its the clinical aspect that most pharmacists are interested in and love doing, do these jobs therefore seem less appealing despite the higher salaries?

How long could one realistically expect to obtain one of these jobs from the time they graduate?
I was wondering the same thing
Liz94
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sharpshooter)
Hi all,

I’m 4 years qualified and I’ve been a band 8a for over a year
”up north” it’s easier to get an 8a. 8as tend to be clinical. 8b/c/d are management or consultant pharmacist posts and a band 9 is the chief!
Sharpshooter
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Liz94)
”up north” it’s easier to get an 8a. 8as tend to be clinical. 8b/c/d are management or consultant pharmacist posts and a band 9 is the chief!
How difficult would it be to obtain consultant pharmacy posts? From what I've read consultant pharmacists still retain a lot of clinical work and patient contact. I've read about people who were say band 8d or 9 who moved down into it so they could still work with patients. Are consultant pharmacists generally more clinical and less management based?
Last edited by Sharpshooter; 8 months ago
ashvinsingh
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Liz94)
To become a consultant pharmacist 10 years of experience qualified as a hospital pharmacist is required yes? I want to go into hospital pharmacy and move into a management role over time how long would you think this would take?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads