0%
Biochemistry (1)
100%
Medicinal Chemistry (0)
0%
mscatlover
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello!

I have to choose an option for Chemistry but we literally have only done one chapter of the course, so I am not sure on any of the concepts yet, especially those that are included in the options (e.g. organic chem, eletrolysis, stoichiometric equilibrium...). However we are made to choose now. Please help on what I should choose.

I really like biology, and take it at HL, so biochemistry seems like a good option, however, it seems there is a lot of memorising structures of organic materials, which seems very tedious to me and not too interesting. I really like the content in the Energy option, and it seems pretty straightforward and interesting, however, I don't do physics at all; will it be very hard for me and will I be at too much of a disadvantage? Medicinal chemistry also seems quite interesting to me, and most of my class has chosen it. I don't know if it's too many new concepts and will be too hard, though.

Thank you!

TL;DR
What IB Chemistry option should I choose - Energy (too much maths? & I don't take physics), Medicinal chemistry, Biochemistry (seems a bit tedious to me?)
mscatlover
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
btw - i've completely discarded materials!
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mscatlover)
Hello!

I have to choose an option for Chemistry but we literally have only done one chapter of the course, so I am not sure on any of the concepts yet, especially those that are included in the options (e.g. organic chem, eletrolysis, stoichiometric equilibrium...). However we are made to choose now. Please help on what I should choose.

I really like biology, and take it at HL, so biochemistry seems like a good option, however, it seems there is a lot of memorising structures of organic materials, which seems very tedious to me and not too interesting. I really like the content in the Energy option, and it seems pretty straightforward and interesting, however, I don't do physics at all; will it be very hard for me and will I be at too much of a disadvantage? Medicinal chemistry also seems quite interesting to me, and most of my class has chosen it. I don't know if it's too many new concepts and will be too hard, though.

Thank you!

TL;DR
What IB Chemistry option should I choose - Energy (too much maths? & I don't take physics), Medicinal chemistry, Biochemistry (seems a bit tedious to me?)
If you study HL biology, the biochemistry option is a breeze. Medicinal Chemistry is also pretty easy. Avoid Energy if you don't study physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.71%
Okay (70)
29.05%
A bit lacking (90)
37.34%
Not good at all (60)
24.9%

Watched Threads