The Student Room Group

What do you invest in?

So, as per title, what types of investment does everyone hold? And, for thast matter, how do you actually go about investing? Be it simply holding an investment ISA or managing your own portfolio?

Personally i use a couple of platforms to invest the leftover pocket change, as it were, to create a nest egg. Its quite handy being able to piss around with them when i have nothing else to do :biggrin:
Always been fond of plonking money in financial services type firms, energy (generation and exploration) and etf's which are a nice safe way to get a dividend.

Also got a strange pension investment type thing called Kiwisaver but i have no way of managing that which is a bit of a shame.

What about everyone else?
Original post by Napp
So, as per title, what types of investment does everyone hold? And, for thast matter, how do you actually go about investing? Be it simply holding an investment ISA or managing your own portfolio?

Personally i use a couple of platforms to invest the leftover pocket change, as it were, to create a nest egg. Its quite handy being able to piss around with them when i have nothing else to do :biggrin:
Always been fond of plonking money in financial services type firms, energy (generation and exploration) and etf's which are a nice safe way to get a dividend.

Also got a strange pension investment type thing called Kiwisaver but i have no way of managing that which is a bit of a shame.

Stocks & shares isa
Help to buy isa (guaranteed interest but very limited capital)
Savings account & cash account - keep some cash

Nothing special mostly US market ETFs.
(edited 2 years ago)
90% of my money is in cash because I want to buy a place, but I have money in a Global Equity fund (may as well be a US equity fund given 72% of is there).
Pensions through work and crypto.
Reply 4
Vanguard LS 80/100 ACC
I invest my money for the things I really need. And for holiday trips, that's it!
Original post by Napp

I'm into 4x4 investing for diversifying, good returns and efficient use of time as well as other resources.

4x4 = 4 types of 4 investment instruments.

Currently :-

1) Real estate, have 4 types of real estate other than my personal residence and holiday homes.
2) Stocks, 4 stocks, currently Tesla, Apple, Nio and Pfizer.
3) Crypto, currently only have BTC and ATH, was holding SHIBA and DOGE but decided to consolidate.
4) Cash in fixed deposits, currently have deposits mainly in Norway, Singapore, UK and USA.
Original post by mnot
Stocks & shares isa
Help to buy isa (guaranteed interest but very limited capital)
Savings account & cash account - keep some cash

Nothing special mostly US market ETFs.

Pretty much this, except my portfolio contains a variety of UK, US and EU ETFs. I did own a very small collection of cryptocurrencies which I have since sold as I don't want to take excess risk.
I invest in ETFs under the tax wrapper of my S&S ISA. I also have a non-ISA S&S account where I look to invest in some individual companies and have some fun with. A portion of my portfolio is also invested in cryptos that I am mostly able to stake or put to work saving with interest. Most of my wealth is tied up in assets of some kind to generate more money. I set aside what is needed for bills and some fun bits but my priority is on wealth creation and frankly beating inflation at the moment.
(edited 2 years ago)
I bought some tech stocks a week ago, Tesla, Google, Etsy, Enphase, Trade Desk
pension and S&S ISA - a mixture of HSBC Global Strategy plus some EM and small cap
All sorts of things, mainly investment trusts as the core but have recently taken a position in an AIM listed VC company which focuses on IOT/Cyber companies and is in imo crazy value right now.

The reason I believe it is very underpriced is because these companies rely on SAAS, recurring revenue, but once they are up and running they often win more business very quickly and start trading at multiples of their enterprise value.

Another reason I took a position is because there is shortly going to be a dual listing via OTCQB, and American money respects and nurtures growth companies, whereas the uk is mainly wedded to income and dividends. The uk was not the right place for this VC in the first place, but it did get the whole thing rolling

As it was such a low entry point I am expecting this stock to multi-bag in the next year, possibly x10

Quick Reply

Latest